Stressed waiting for planning!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so planning was submitted June 1st and we are still waiting on a decision - planning officer did site visit yesterday we are proposing 2 storey side extension and he has voiced concerns on closeness to boundary (approx 600mm away on one corner) would you worry that this implies it will be refused following his meeting with his line manager?! We run alongside a footpath as we are end of the road, semi detached house in an estate that is a complete mis-match of houses built in the 80s - I can't bear to wait a further 6 weeks to resubmit!!

Sponsored Links
This is the Golden Hour! Speak to the planners (almost) on a daily basis and make it clear that you wish to understand their stance. Then when you know how they are minded you can consider whether you can cope with their suggested revisions (if applicable) and make amendments as necessary within the time period. They may suggest moving the wall for example and you may consider that the extension is still worth doing (or maybe not) but it's hard to say as you've not given us any more information. Does you proposal meet Local Plan guidance? But if you employed somepone to do your drawings/application/act as your agent then they should be doing all this. Or are they the lazy ass type who just sit back and wait for a decision to pop through the door?

Thank you I have been speaking to the planning officer he seems a very nice gentleman who has been very apologetic for taking so long!

We will be prepared to move in from the boundary if required as we are only touching it on a corner it won't make to much difference to the size of extension but am I right in thinking if it's refused I have to do a whole new submission?

Our agent is an old boy who insists on doing everything by post which has been frustrating but I can't complain I don't mind talking to the planners they have always been very polite and informative just getting bored of waiting!

Yes if it is refused you will go through the whole process again. But the point is there is no need to do that, if the planners suggest an amendment that you are happy with then get your silly old duffer of an 'agent' to pull his finger out and get revised drawings in asap so that it does get approved this time round. Then once you get an approval you can then resubmit your original application again for free (yes for free) and if it is refused you can take it to appeal if there are grounds to do so. Then if the appeal is rejected you still have the original approval to fall back on. It may be obvious but keep your relationship with the planners amicable at all times.

As a bye the bye comment it can be worth applying for something bigger/taller than you really want so that you leave yourself some room to play with and your planners can have their little power trip and get you to trim it down. Its all a bit of a game.

Sponsored Links
I love that you operate somewhere where a case officer is someone with whom you can still have an actual conversation

UPDATE: planning as is will be refused :( planning officer has suggested submitting an amendment moving 1m in from boundary and he will look at it and approve (hopefully) in this application process - it is frustrating that he doesn't just say do this to get approval I don't know why the rules are so secret!

Now they couldn't be fairer than that! Although going from 30cm to 1m is a bit of a sacrifice but ho hum

Yes thank you so much I was already working out what another 6 weeks to our schedule would have done

Well if you put another submission in after this one, you were confident you had at least some grounds to appeal, that will be 8 weeks to wait for the rejection to plop through the letter box and then it'd be say another 7 weeks for the appeal. But you'd need a robust defence. Does your application as originally submitted meet with Local Plan guidance? Though its often not always black and white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back