Strikes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Local buses have been on strike for the past three weeks, now the trains are going on strike - it must be h**l for those people who have to get about and rely entirely on public transport. In my entire working life, I was never once on strike.

I do use public transport, though I don't have to, I can always walk or drive - but PT is usually more convenient than driving for me, for most places I normally need to go. I have a covid booster due Thursday at the surgery 3 miles away, for which I would normally hop on the bus for the 3 miles, it stops at the door. Driving means it will be tricky to find somewhere to park, because their car park will be full. Then I have to go there again on Friday for an aranesp injection. Food - I usually walk down to the street, or supermarket and hop on the bus to get home with heavy bags (I live at the high point), but now I'm either walking both ways, or driving if there is too much to carry.

Sponsored Links
All this strike action certainly makes me think the government won't ever get the majority of those that work to use public transport even if they were available at the times needed.

Can you imagine how the unions would be and there demands if they knew they could stop 90% of the country working

Can you imagine how the unions would be and there demands if they knew they could stop 90% of the country working
maybe decades of wage stagnation whilst the rich get richer has something to do with it

can you imagine a world where people cant earn enough to live....thats Tory Britain 2022

expect more strikes over the next 2 years, probably riots as well

expect more strikes over the next 2 years, probably riots as well
Why only the next 2 years? Because of a GE when you are hoping for Kier to get in ? Do you honestly think we wouldn't be having these strikes if your precious Kier was in charge?

Sponsored Links
Why only the next 2 years? Because of a GE when you are hoping for Kier to get in ? Do you honestly think we wouldn't be having these strikes if your precious Kier was in charge?
because over the next 2 years we will still be lied to by a right wing populist govt.

Pray to all you hold dear there isn't an election in two years time - just as the American elections bubble into full swing.
I'm not sure my sanity can take Trump and Johnson on the campaign trail at the same time.

There won’t be an election in two years

The Russians and nazis will take over completely :ROFLMAO: via a coup

Could be a civil war

Internment and concentration camps ??

Last edited:
There would be a period of 'grace' if Labour were to win.

Boris Johnson says bosses need to start paying their staff MORE​

But apparently that doesn’t hold true for the government….who effectively own the railways

LOL If profits go down we are having a depression, If profits go down due to increasing wages and they stay down who cares?

:) Sadly the world doesn't work like that.

Mmmm The train problem seems to be £16.4b shoved in by gov to keep it going during covid. Looks like they usually shove in £5b for improvements. There is private investment - seems to be mostly stations. Boris likes to mention the £16.4b.

Perhaps post covid use of trains has changed. Workers to join the gig economy according to some. Job losses. Poor increases in the past and etc.

The gig ecconomy reminds me of how some found work in the 30's. Knock on the door on Monday and ask if there is any work this week. The UK car industry used to work something along those lines for some time. Then a steady income was negotiated and the "problems" started. The basic problem was all of the new cars needed when the registration numbers advanced to the next year.

can’t earn enough to keep up with the joneses and service their debts you mean?.

we have had over ten years of stagnating wages, meaning people are not making progress. Public servants have suffered pay freezes due to tory austerity which would have you believe that the financial crisis was caused by too many libraries and evening classes, and overgenerous disability benefits, which had to be cut to solve the problem.

with inflation around 10%, anyone offered a 3% rise is effectively getting a pay cut.

is anyone surprised that Oliver Twist holds out his bowl and asks for more?

Sponsored Links
Back