strimmer, (Oleo-Mac 725s) wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help please, also i would like to have a go at servicing my mountfield petrol mower myself this year, so any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks for looking. Terry

Sponsored Links
Hi

Ive had my mountfield for 16years and never had it serviced professionally
i cut the grass twice a week in summer,
I change the oil once a year,
clean the sparkplug, change it now and then maybe every 3 years
if the cutting blade is looking rough, take it off and sharpen it, Ive never replaced a blade with a new one yet,
this time of year, i clean it up, taking all the dried grass off and spray the whole thing with WD40 a put it in the shed for winter
hope this helps

Many thanks, i will give it a go and do as you say, generally i am pleased with the mountfield but need to learn how to service it myself, i would even like to change the filter and suppose i could see if i could find one online somewhere, its got to be a lot cheaper than what the local firm was asking, £80 to give annual service inc filter change. so many thanks again. terry

Sponsored Links
can anyone help please, also i would like to have a go at servicing my mountfield petrol mower myself this year, so any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks for looking. Terry

If you have B&Q Mountfield, there isn't too much you can do. Most of them have diaphragm carbs so all you can do is replace diaphragm, change the oil and change the plug, plus a little bit of wd40 here and there. I also Redex mine a couple of times a year to keep it coke free.

Thanks nstreet,
i did buy it from B&Q! thanks for the advice, once xmas is over i'll check it out, afraid the carb is above me i think but i will do the rest and see how it goes. much appreciate your help. terry

If you are going to change the oil make sure you use a good quality oil not some cheap rubbish,cheap oil with an SA IPA rating is no better than chip fat.Also it has to be SAE 30 not any kind of multigrade car oil i've seen too many mower engines ruined by this.
If you are thinking of sharpening the blade yourself don't bother, take it to a proper dealer unless you have a blade balancer and a compressor with an airgun and a torque wrench and also fit a new blade bolt every time.

Most problems with lawnmowers occur at the start of the spring season. They usually dont start or are very rough. Its ecause they have been lying in a shed all winter. Best way to avoid this is to empty the petrol and run off what is left in the carb before you store for the winter. Take out the spark plug and put a cpl of mils of oil down the plug hole. With the plug out, giv it a couple to turns with the pull cord to distribute the oil. Store in a dry hut. New plug, new oil and fresh petrol at the start of the season and youll have no problems. As for the 2stroke strimmers and hedge cutters etc. Empty the oil/petrol mix. Burn off whats in the carb and store. Dont store 2stroke machines without emtying the fuel or youll be buyin a new machine every season.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back