Strip and reslate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a tenement in aberdeen one side of building has 2 bedroom flats the other one bedroom flats 6 in all. This year we have had some guttering work, done some months later the middle and bottom 2 bedroom flats had a problem with water ingress. a month or so later I, in a top one bedroom have had water leak on ceiling and had to drill holes and leave a container under in case of heavy rainfall. A Loft report from one company received involves guttering work and downpipes and some slate repair.
estimated cost Approx £2500. However the inspector as such never actually went onto the roof as there is no skylight access.
Today I have had another company inspect the roof and two guys went up there and spent about 30 minutes. They have said they will provide a report. However they said they will not quote for repair as in their opinion there is so many broken slates and ridge and valley problems that they could not guarantee repairs and they will only quote for a complete strip and reslate.
I believe them as it is an old roof and their has been nothing but a few piecemeal repairs over the last twenty years.
I just wondered if anyone has a ballpark idea of what this type of work would cost? :eek:

Sponsored Links
tenement building will be expensive for scaffold costs, access being another issue, is there dormer windows, chimneys, valleys, vents, all adding to the cost.

will the slates be reused? if so what type-size or will it be getting tiled.

how much leadwork is involved.

so many variables to give an estimate on really.

i would start at a bare minimum of £15000 anyway giving that your average semi comes in at 4 to 5k for tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back