Strip light: rating required for a small kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cheapo 3x40W spot-light in the kitchen. Kitchen is 3m x 3m, the spot-light is the only lighting in the kitchen and is bright enough for my needs.
But the spot light bulbs don't seem to last very long.
So, I am thinking of replacing the spot light with a fluorescent strip light.

Question: What rating of strip light do I need? There are some 3ft/30W strip lights on sale in the sheds. Are these OK for as the main lighting in a room? Surely I don't need a 120W fluorescent strip!

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Aah, a man with common sense!

I would suggest a single 1500mm 58W strip for a kitchen that size.

The little one would leave you with dark corners.

May be Best to go by what you think will look best.
a small fitting may look odd.
4 foot 36 watt is more standard size and possibly cheaper for replacing the lamp.
They are then 5ft 58watt and 6ft 70 watt

Light output will vary by the tube colour fitted
Cool white is brighter than a standard white

Just to add something to the pot, we have a galley shaped kitchen about 2 by 3 meters.
Just fitted four 21watt T5 strips, cool white I think.
Fantastic light, bulbs rated at 20,000 hours and no shadows at all.
They were not cheap though, certainly worth it though, if a little on the bright side.

Sponsored Links
Just to add something to the pot, we have a galley shaped kitchen about 2 by 3 meters.
They were not cheap though, certainly worth it though, if a little on the bright side.
They would be high frequency control gear fittings
With triphosphor tubes,would have 840 on the tube for cool white
h/f fittings proberly will be the norm if we join the EEC
As you say nice but not cheap yet
About 54 watt approx 1200mm proberly the longest for them.

If the OP can get high frequency fittings, he should. Quieter, more efficient and no flickering.

If the OP can get high frequency fittings, he should. Quieter, more efficient and no flickering.

Agreed !

With high frequency
most standard tube sizes 4ft, 5ft, 6ft are available (T8 one inch diameter) , so the op dont have to go with the T5 5/8 inch tubes

They would be high frequency control gear fittings
With triphosphor tubes,would have 840 on the tube for cool white
h/f fittings proberly will be the norm if we join the EEC
As you say nice but not cheap yet
About 54 watt approx 1200mm proberly the longest for them.

Exactly right, Tamlight with Sylvania 840 tubes from CEF.
Can I just point out that in my opinion T5 is superior to T8 due to all fittings being high frequency, triphosphor, 20,000h lamp life and unbeatable efficiency.
But a good quality HF T8 fitting will do the job almost as well and are still highly recommended, certainly better than spots!

Exactly right, Tamlight with Sylvania 840 tubes from CEF.
Not too hard really
All the T5 tubes I have seen, seem to be "8 gas" triphosphor, as you say, this gas has an increased life and really the best choice in H/f and even normal fittings really.

Colour 40 (cool white ) seems to be supplied with a majority of them.

You could go for 835 white lamps if 840 cool white are too bright.

Shame really I just fitted 20 fittings and they wanted 840, these had new 835 lamps in the box, which we will proberly dump as we only use 840.

I notice T5 go black at the ends quick,even though there still lit, even when fairly new.
I would still relamp all four at the same time , after 12 months even though there working,as you will notice the difference.

I have found same length tube with different wattages in T5 so you have to be carefull when relamping ,35w and 54w I think are the same length.

However the "9" gas multiphosphor lamps are also out now, and supposed to be even better .

Agreed !

With high frequency
most standard tube sizes 4ft, 5ft, 6ft are available (T8 one inch diameter) , so the op dont have to go with the T5 5/8 inch tubes

Your eyes will also thank you for HF lighting, they have to work much harder with normal fluorescent lights.

Agreed !

With high frequency

Your eyes will also thank you for HF lighting, they have to work much harder with normal fluorescent lights.

Phew! This is all highly technical...
I'll look for a High Frequency unit, about 4ft long.
It doesn't have to be super bright.
Mike

I worked in a shop with LF 4-tube fittings, densely located on the ceiling, it was very bright and I always went home with a headache, I could always see the flickering in the frame of my glasses. Didn't help that each aisle only had one phase :(

Now I work in another shop with 4-tube fittings but these are HF and the system has been properly designed so each aisle has two phases of lighting, and the bare minimum of it too. Its a lot duller but its just right. I never go home with a headache. :D

Mike, the difference is LF fittings drive the tube at mains frequency, 50Hz. Your CRT television scans at 50Hz, 50 times per second - you can see it flickering.

HF fittings drive the tube at around 20 to 120KHz. This is invisible to the human eye. It appears constant, so your eyes aren't as strained.

It is also possible to purchase dimmable HF ballasts to replace standard fluorescent ballasts. But bear in mind, these require a switch circuit and a seperate dimmer circuit.

Phew! This is all highly technical...
I'll look for a High Frequency unit, about 4ft long.
It doesn't have to be super bright.
Mike

Sorry

Ask for a 4 foot 1200mm, 36 watt high frequency single batten fitting
and
A 4 foot 1200mm, 36 watt triphosphor tube colour (835) T8 diameter.

This will be white and lamp will last well over one year.
Or
(840) if you want bright

5 foot 1500mm, 58 watt if you want that size, proberly better for 3m x 3m room

Do not think the sheds sell them yet, so you may have to go to an elect wholesaler that serves the public or buy online.

If too dear then get the standard 4ft or 5ft , switch/start fitting with a standard white tube, these fittings are the ones with starter lamps fitted ( available anywhere including sheds)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back