strip lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI ALL GOOD MORNING TO YOU ALL.i need some help here just got rid of textured paint from bedroom walls now to the ceiling one day some one decided to put four strip lights in the ceiling cut four squares into the plasterboard and fitterd these lights nice we come along bought the house hye presto started to decorate the room how can we jass up these lights as they will have to stay to expensive to remove i think they are coved with perspex thats gone yukky yellow any ideas no tat please something pleasing to the eye, thank you

regards Chrissy

Sponsored Links
You must be able to remove the covers so as to change the tubes.
Give them a good clean in soapy water or sugar soap, rinse, let dry, replace.
OR
If the light fittings are sunk flush (access through attic), a friend of mine has done similar idea in his kitchen with two 6' strip lights. He put 2 studs between joists for each light, got some 6mm frosted perspex from local glazier 6'6" x 8", smoothed the edges and put 6 holes in, and suspended this from ceiling using mirror type screws with 2" tube spacers behind. looks very effective but needs two to change the tube when it goes.

HI, we are able to get to the lights by undoing screws i think they have been done via loft space because of the size of each one, not had a good look yet i will be doing so over the week end do you know if B&Q sell PERSPEX we have a circle pattern on the ones we have maybe a frosted one would look better and cleaner. thanks for help
regards Chrissy :rolleyes:

our local b & Q does, but the b & q website doesn't (not under perspex any way)

The problem with patterned pespex is that when it gets dirty it is hard to get into the pattern, so i would suggest that when you fit it, put it pattern side up

Sponsored Links
Perspex is also known as plexiglass, although I did a search on B&Q and it doesn't recognise that either.
Thing is with the likes of those places you have to buy a sheet, whereas your local little man will sell you (if he's got it) the sizes you require, usually cheaper as well.
P&2 and the like can cut their prices like mad because they overprice things to start with.
Support the little fella !!

i have only got short legs, does that mean you will support me? :p

trouble with the likes of Q & B they do dictate how much they will pay for something where as the little fella has to pay what he is told.

I once tried to supply something, wrote (no email then) to the manufacturer they agreed i could, gave the "trade price" and it was still cheaper if i went up the road to q & b and bought it there, need you ask i never took it any further

thanks for info went to b&q last night got no joy from them, did buy mdf has this come down in price cos large sheet cost £10 and the nice man cut it for me getting back to the strip light hubby informed me to get to lights via loft thats a job for him then, ha ha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back