Stripped floor leaking resin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently lifted carpet, and found the T+G floorboards below to be in good condition - flat, tight and even, with none of them ever having been lifted. So decided to sand them down (including the finish of old varnish) and re-varnish. They're not old - late 1960's I'd guess - but by no means brand new.

All went well, and they've come up a treat with a stain, 4 coats of Ronseal Diamond, a light sand, a 5th coat, another sand and final 6th finishing coat.

However, in a couple of places, I'm getting resin seepage from knots, and sticky patches on the floor. Is there anything I can do? I can't use knotting solution, as it will be an obvious mismatch in colour.

I'm surprised that boards of this age can still be leaking resin - maybe sanding it down "released" pockets of resin? In which case - is this likely to stop after a few weeks / months?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back