Stripping and painting radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of using a combination of Nitromoze, wire brushes etc to strip down the radiators and put re paint.

Anyone done this, is it easy, can you get a good/like new finish?

Was thinking of using a spray to colour it white, for a smooth finish.

Sponsored Links
Take em to be dipped, far easier.

Then prime undercoat and topcoat in the finish of your choice.

How would you find a service that offers dipping? what would it be listed under in the yellow pages?

Also, if they can dip them to remove paint, can they not dip them to paint them too?

I painted a radiater last year when i decorated my hall way. I took it off the wall, and laid it on my work mate. I used a sander with a paint removing pad and also a wire brush on a drill to get in to the awkward bits. I got a good finish in the end, but I probably used about 2 or 3 coats of radiator paint. It looked great untill my one year old started hammering his toys in to it!

Sponsored Links
Google Door Dipping.

Though I have to ask, can anyone recommend a good dippers in the Manchester area?

Thinking of doing it this weekend.

I am thinking of using a combination of Nitromoze, wire brushes etc to strip down the radiators and put re paint.

Anyone done this, is it easy, can you get a good/like new finish?

Was thinking of using a spray to colour it white, for a smooth finish.

I know that this subject is very old but just incase, like I have, someone uses this to get some helpful tips i offer the following advice.

I have just redecorated a bedroom and have a thing for brand new rads, just think they give a new/clean feeling to a house. Anyway, was going to buy one for about £40 but thought I would give stripping and repainting a go.

I used Nitromors general purpose stripper (£6), applied three coats, 1 then another when paint bubbles followed by scraping, then another after washing it down to get rid of residue. I did this in between paint and plaster drying time so no extra time used up. Nitromors removed all emulsion (4 coats of) and original enamel.

Give a good rub down with wire wool and a stiff wire brush for hard to get areas after washing off the nitromors. Let the rad dry after the washdown though.

I then applied Plastikote enamel radiator spray (£6), two coats, leaving 4 hrs in between.

The result?

A rad that looks brand new. I compared with those at diy stores and could not tell the difference.

To recap.

Nitromors (green bottle) general purpose stripper 3 coats - follow instructions exactly for top results.

Platikote Radiator Spray - 2 coats, follow instructions for best results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back