Stripping down stud wall to tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am retiling a bathroom wall after pulling the old tiles of I am left with alot of old adhesive on the walls. If I try and scrape it off it seems to be taking away the layer of plaster underneath aswell. I have tried using the back of an old wood chisel aswell as a scrapper.

Can I just lightly scrape it so they it goes smooth and retile or do I need to get all the old adhesive off completely? Another thought was to put a sheet of moisture resistant plasterboard over the top and tile onto that ?(but thats just me being lazy :) )

unfortunately the old tiles had to come off as they were abit loose in places. And pulling the plasterboard off completely will be hard work as there is some kind of honey combe cardboard in the cavity that is heavily glued to both sides. Any previous attempts in this house has resulted in me ripping the whole lot down :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can I just lightly scrape it so they it goes smooth and retile or do I need to get all the old adhesive off completely?

You can tile over adhesive as long as it's well fixed and not too proud,2-3mm should be ok,much more and you need to start bedding up with adhesive.

Another thought was to put a sheet of moisture resistant plasterboard over the top and tile onto that ?(but thats just me being lazy :) )

Just board over with normal plasterboard and tank it,it you don't mind the extra work reboarding will give you a better start.

unfortunately the old tiles had to come off as they were abit loose in places. And pulling the plasterboard off completely will be hard work as there is some kind of honey combe cardboard in the cavity that is heavily glued to both sides. Any previous attempts in this house has resulted in me ripping the whole lot down :)

This type of board was used a lot in the 70's,put up in big sheets,containing no studs as the honeycomb provides the ridgidness.

Thanks for your replies lancenotalot. What you say about that type of board used makes perfect sense as the house was built in the 70's :)

Going on what you said I think I will scrape the old adhesive down so its smooth and tile from there. That won't be too much hard work.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
If you use a wallpaper stripper, the steam turns the old adhesive soft and can be easily scrapped off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back