STRIPPING STAIRS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone ANYONE PLEASE tell me an easy way 2 strip stairs back 2 the bare???? ive tried nitromors n the like but its grotty lead paint im trying 2 get rid of now. im using a "mouse" at the mo but theres 16 steps n am using 1 disc per syep!!! i want 2 wax as ive waxed the doors n they look lush!! BUT im gettint bit peed off. ANYONE AT ALL got any tips :mad:

Sponsored Links
I personally would use a hot air gun to get the heavy off! If the paint is lead paint, and you can buy a lead test kit from most places which will test if it really is lead based paint. Just because it was from the 60's and 70;s doesnt mean it will have lead in it.That said, the fumes coming off lead based painr will be dangerous. So a mask is a must!

Aya ive got the thick white gloss off im now down 2 this old fashioned brownish paint ive had a mask on cos its really fumey. ive been using those metal pan scrubbers with the nitromors and that has helped a great deal. the cottage is pre 1830 n there must have been 10 coats on the stairs. just wish i had put a new staircase in b4 it was all plastered out!!!!!

Aya ive got the thick white gloss off im now down 2 this old fashioned brownish paint ive had a mask on cos its really fumey. ive been using those metal pan scrubbers with the nitromors and that has helped a great deal. the cottage is pre 1830 n there must have been 10 coats on the stairs. just wish i had put a new staircase in b4 it was all plastered out!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I know someone who was having a pig of a job doing their stairs but eventually found that using a product called 'cling strip'(?) was very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back