Stripping Vymura

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to get the vinyl off of lining paper. Some pieces come off cleanly but most tear and try to peel about 1/4" strips. Taking ages!! I didn't want to wet the paper incase the lining paper comes off. Can anyone give me some tips please.

Sponsored Links
When you say 'vymura' do you mean the old 'nova mura' or ordinary vinyl?

Is it sort of spongey?..if so its not easy to shift, youl have to do it dry because water wont touch the vinyl (plastic)...

Can I ask though...why do you want to leave the lining on?

Sponsored Links
he probably intends to steam the backing/lining paper - which won't work till he gets the top layer off - I'm guessing ;)

Are you guessing he is not a she as well? ;)

And...

I didn't want to wet the paper incase the lining paper comes off

:confused:

The walls have got warmalene (polystyrene) and then double lined prior to the vinyl going on. Thats why I cant scrape too hard.

what do you intend doing with the walls after fawny?...

if it is nova mura you really have got a job on your hands....its awful stuff, if hung it and stripped it, your going to need more patients than Dr Shipman!

It took me 10 hours and still wasn't all off the walls. In the end I used a Surform and that worked brilliant. It didn't scratch or hurt the original lining paper. Just got a small embossed paper and will emulsion.

Cheers. :D

Wish my wife had that kind of tenacity (like fawney, not the novamura) ;)
A few weeks ago she asked me to redec the hall, stairs and landing and I told her it was a job any woman could do just as well as a man...so she payed a bird called Gail to do it (with my dosh) :LOL:

btw - She did an excellent job an quick too for a very reasonable price ;) (incase she or her giant scaffolder hubby is on here :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back