Stripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Easy tiger,

I have moved in to a new property,i have asked loads on here and thanks to those that have helped so far.

Now the living room i am stripping back the wallpaper, ready for a fresh coat of plaster.

I want to strip all the door Architrave( spelling), its got multiple coats of gloss on it, i would ideally like to get back to bear wood, whats the best and most effective way to deal with this,

I don't care how long it takes, i want it right.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless it is antique or very fancy, it is actually easier to get a good finish by pulling off the old moulding and fixing new.

JohnD said:
Unless it is antique or very fancy, it is actually easier to get a good finish by pulling off the old moulding and fixing new.

Absolutely right

Plus if you are replastering, it's ideal...get the old stuff off, tack a strip of timber on the door lining for the plasterer to go up to (usually about 4mm thick, depends how level your existing plaster and door lining are) and then on goes the new architrave, and everything is hunky dory

I don't care how long it takes, i want it right.

:mad:

Hi

I have fancy original victorian architrave...one piece weighs as much as a mod pine door, so I wanted to keep it! I stripped the whole house using a heat gun. The gloss is easy but usually there is a green primer that is difficult to remove if it is very old. Even worse if you have a first coat of varnish which you won't know untill you strip the gloss coats then you will have even more trouble and plenty of fumes. My prob was that the gloss coats were peeling and so many dents and lock holes that I had to strip. The problem with stripping either with heat gun or chemical is that it is time consuming and fine detail will easily chip as you attempt to remove paint etc. Was it worth it? Well at an hour for one side of one length of door frame, an hour to fill in, an hour to rub down, I would say it is better to buy new and go for good quality but it is all at a cost.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advise, i thing from the sound of it its best to rip it all out and just start again.

I think if your going to spend the time living looking at it, you should have it just as you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back