Structural advice - approx costings

I meant the one that your new stud wall (or single block) is attached to, I viewed your dwg of the existing opening as from the outside. Just re-read your first post, you do say viewed from the inside :oops:
That ones 650mm anyway and you're not altering it and it's original so i wouldn't think you'd have a problem with that one. I don't know which one oldun meant but your revised dwg looks ok to give BC an idea of what you're proposing. You could arrange to visit their office for an informal chat before you submit your applications, that way you'll get an idea of what you can do structurally so your initial design can incorporate this. Might save you a few quid on your design fees.
If you don't have an architect/designer lined up and you're considering the yellow pages route, or similar, do your research and get a shortlist of names together. You can then drop these names to BC and whilst they're not allowed to recommend anyone, they will let you know whose work they have the least problems with, if you see what I mean. Same goes for builders.

Sponsored Links
@BAS,

Why are you so concerned about the returns?

Looking at the plan of the back of the house as a whole, I would say you have adequate stiffness, regardless of A.D. A.

The only one I was ever concerned about was this one:

screenshot_86.jpg
[/quote]

I never saw the partial removal of the existing return on the rear wall as a problem.

I did completely miss the lack of one on this wall though

screenshot_93.jpg

:oops:

Also, FYI, the stud wall referred to by Jason won't be completely freestanding - there's an opening there - a doorway with no door. Something like this:

screenshot_102.jpg

You could arrange to visit their office for an informal chat before you submit your applications, that way you'll get an idea of what you can do structurally so your initial design can incorporate this. Might save you a few quid on your design fees.
Good tip.

If you don't have an architect/designer lined up and you're considering the yellow pages route, or similar, do your research and get a shortlist of names together. You can then drop these names to BC and whilst they're not allowed to recommend anyone, they will let you know whose work they have the least problems with, if you see what I mean. Same goes for builders.
Fortunately I know a couple of people who can recommend SEs and/or architectural technicians if I need them, and builders. Well - one can recommend builders, the other is one.

My original q here was to try and get a rough idea of what putting in a steel to replace the concrete lintel in the existing rear wall would cost - I'm not averse to getting an SE engaged if I need to, but I will see if a bit of over-engineering would be OK with BC as an alternative.

I may need one whatever, unless the roof lantern people can provide detailed designs, as there will be a hole in the roof....

screenshot_104.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. The wall with the 280 internal return would not be a problem. Presumably it would be 2 1/2 bricks externally allowing for the thickness of the side wall.

2. The wall without a return could be designed as a panel wall. The code of practice for masonry gives various ways of doing this, and any reasonably competent SE should be able to specify the details.

Basically, you would need to ensure that the wall was adequately tied to the concrete base, and also properly secured to the roof, perhaps with extra steel straps. If the roof could be diaphragmed with plywood it would act as a rigid plate and provide adequate restraint to the wall.

Thanks, Tony.

I think I've pretty much given up the idea of the small return on one side and none on the other - not sure how good it would look to have the doors + narrow window right up against the wall with no return, like this:

screenshot_117.jpg

particularly from the inside.

And then there's the practical issue of not having anywhere for curtains to go. Even if we got a vertical blind instead (an option we are favouring), 280mm isn't enough for one that would cover that span, so we would end up with the windows at the side obscured, so what's the point of having them?

PS - the external leaf will be block, not brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back