structural engineer calculation needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be happy to pay for this,I want to knock out a chimney stack n put gallows brackets in the loft (1930's semi). The council said they want a calculation to prove the brackets, so I'm looking pretty vacant and scratchin me head!

Sponsored Links
I think you will be struggling to get any meaningful calcs done for gallows brackets.

The bracket will be bolted back to the brickwork, but putting a figure to the 'pull-out' resistance of the bolts will be well-nigh impossible.

And that is assuming that gallows brackets are acceptable in principle; there is the overall stability issue to consider.

If the Building Inspector has asked for calcs for the brackets, that means nothing. Once any figures are passed to the council's engineers for checking, they may well reject the design on the basis of a lack of stability.

Councils are increasingly refusing gallows brackets (or only accepting them in very specific circumstances).

Eeerrr, I think my council will accept gallows brackets still, perhaps being a simple soul I have misconstrued which calculations they are asking for, what is it they actually want?

what is it they actually want?

If your council is not against gallows brackets in principle, that's a start.

The only way to check exactly what calculations they would be looking for is to first ask the local inspector. He will probably say 'er, you'd better speak with our engineer, he'll tell you'.

Then you get the engineer's phone number and ask him. Note down what he says, and then find a local SE, and put the requirements to him.

Sponsored Links
Been back to the council, sadly it seems I'm wrong again, they don't like gallows brackets and want a beam inserted!! my girlfriend did the contacting when I was at work, so that facts have been lost in the 'translation'. Am I to assume they want me to sit an RSJ on top of the brick/block wall between bed1 and bed2 run this under the front of the chimney sack and sit the other end on the 9" rear wall?

Gallow Brackets are sometimes allowed but there is a lot of conditions that have to be met.

Google shepway.gov chimney stack

Or see www.hyltonchimneys.co.uk

ask the above,they have more knowledge than your council !

Am I to assume they want me to sit an RSJ on top of the brick/block wall between bed1 and bed2 run this under the front of the chimney sack and sit the other end on the 9" rear wall?

Correct - and that's the safer way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back