Structural plans - councils have a record?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In order to do a renovation on the ground floor and demolish some of the internal walls to create a more "open plan" modern feel to my property I need to identify the load bearing walls of my property and preferably without having to take up the floorboards above

is there a possibility that building control has a record of the property? I'd be grateful to hear your experience. My property was constructed in the 1970s

Sponsored Links
It is possible that they will have but until you contact them you cannot be sure. Commonsense should enable you to identify whether walls are load bearing e.g. if floorboards run one way the support joists to run the other to load bearing walls, if there is a wall on the 1st floor above one on the ground floor its load bearing, if joists in the loft rest on 1st floor walls its load bearing.

Chances of having plans, just above zero. Chances of having useful plans, just below zero.

You need a competent designer, not 50 year old plans

Chances of having plans, just above zero. Chances of having useful plans, just below zero.

You need a competent designer, not 50 year old plans

I’m sure builders never deviate from the drawings……

Sponsored Links
Extremely unlikely i'd say.
And besides, building control inspections aren't only done by the council, there are also done by independent approved inspectors so you have no way of knowing who would have received/checked any drawings in the first place.

I've never been able to obtain old building control records in the form of detailed plans, just the certificates of completion which are limited to the description of works. Council's say the plans cannot be disclosed under FOI because of copyright, yet it is relatively easy to view and copy planning applications. At the very least the current owner of a property should be able to have access to such drawings.

Blup

Building control only keep drawings etc for 15 years. After that they throw them away.

Extremely unlikely i'd say.
And besides, building control inspections aren't only done by the council, there are also done by independent approved inspectors so you have no way of knowing who would have received/checked any drawings in the first place.
In 1970? Lol

Building control only keep drawings etc for 15 years. After that they throw them away.
LOL that's random

I've got unfinished work older than that at home. I hope they don't want the plans redrawn o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back