Structural question for DG window replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have lived in a 1930s semi with square bays on front ground floor and 1st floor above it for 12 years now, gradually improving as time and money allow. I have always had my suspicions that the DG installation we inherited was suspect and now my suspicions may be (expensively) correct.
We have been getting DG quotes and one company have noted the shocking installation and stated that the upstairs window has been put in too far back (possibly due to measuring too short) and hence not fully supporting the "triangle" piece below the roof, which is made of brick, fully.
They think that this has caused the front of the roof to drop slightly and I think they are right as there are a couple of long standing cracks though we have never noticed any particular movement. Also some of the roof joists by the upstairs window are not parallel to the ground.
The company have suggested trying to akrow the roof back up during the window installation and that this may be better achieved if the brick between the two bays and the "triangle" is removed and replaced with stud etc. They have said there is no guarantee this will work as any cracks may have filled with dust/dirt over the years and therefore not allowing the roof to return to its original position.

My question is this, given that the new Windows will be structurally capable of carrying the weight and will be installed properly and thus stop any further movement, is it worth trying to push the roof back up given that it hasn't caused and issues in the twelve years I've lived there?

The company have said it doesn't have to be done but may be picked up if we ever try to sell(though no plans to). At 2.5k I need to be sure it really needs to be done or is it overkill.

Thanks in advance,

Dustyy

Sponsored Links
Only hope is to do as they've suggested, take out old bay and then try and wide up the the acrows. You'll need bay jacks on the new bay to prevent any more movement

Do you think I need to remove the bricks then? Does the cost justify the end result even though the new windows will be properly installed?

Thanks

Before you commit to anything, however well intentionally put, get a local surveyors opinion, as it will be them in, future times, who will value your property, not any replacement window company...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Agree
Make sure the company has sufficient liability cover also

Get a second opinion from either a builder you know / trust or a structural engineer. They should understand the matter better than double glazing installers.

As above; you shouldn't rely on window installers to suggest solutions to what are basically structural problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back