Struggling With Bathroom Fan with Timer 3A Fuse circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but i can't seem to find the answer I've drawn my own diagram and was wondering if this is OK / Correct before I start down the path of doing.

I'm trying to fit an extractor fan (with timer) to the lighting circuit. The instructions (Manrose) have stated it has to be fused. I've read that people ignore that but I'm trying to work of the cautious side and go along with it.

From much looking i found a few posts indicating that a fused spur is the way to go. So I've drawn it and was hoping that someone here could say if its right or not.

Sponsored Links
That's OK, as long as you don't mind the light being on the same fuse - if the fan takes the fuse out you'll have no light.

Personally I'd return the fan to the retailer and ask for a refund under the terms of sale of goods legislation. If Manrose have made a fan which is so dangerously badly made that it is unsafe to be used on a 6A lighting circuit then it cannot possibly be of merchantable quality.

In practice the MCB will trip before the fuse blows.

You would be better off putting the fuse in the bathroom, 1 foot down from the ceiling.

or on the landing

Sponsored Links
You don't fit fused connection units to the lighting circuit.

The instructions (Manrose) have stated it has to be fused.
So does every other electrical item in your house. The lighting circuit MCB is your "fuse".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back