Struggling with light fitting post emergency removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hoping someone can help. First of all, I have checked the wiring diagrams on this forum and wired a light in what i thought was the correct way but no joy.

We had a leak which necessitated an emergency electrician to come out. He removed the cloakroom light and left the connectors taped up. When i came to wire in a new one, i can't make it work which is annoying as i am fine doing simple replacements.

I'm a bit hopeless IT wise and couldnt insert the image of the wiring. The link below should hopefully work though.

//www.diynot.com/network/Bluerange35/albums/

I link the incoming and outgoing cables and then wired the live from the light to what i think is the switched live (black wire left in a single choc box). I wired the earth and neutral to the others. No joy

Any thoughts why not working?

Thanks

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is the light at the bottom of the picture? If so it should be connected to the middle 2 terminals.

There still appears to be a missing switch cable though

Hi, yes the light is at the bottom of the photo. The live and neutral are wired to the middle two terminals and the earth to the right hand one. The switch cable doesn't really show up very well but is wired to the second terminal from the left side (into the live from the light)

Since posting a neighbour with a meter had a look and thinks the wiring is fine but that the switch is iffy as there was only a 90volt reading. Apparently incoming and outgoing are ok?

Thanks
Adam

Well you could connect the light between the left terminal and neutral and see if the light was then on constantly. That would eliminate the switch causing a problem.

Dud the switch get wet? If so alternatively undo the switch and join the two wires together there. Noting where the wires went.
A better picture would help.

Make sure u have good connections and not got insulation trapped in the terminal block

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry for the delay, had to go out. Will try your suggestions tomorrow. Yes the switch did get wet. Will have a go tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your help so far

Isolate safely.

Get shot of the old switch, join the live and switch wires together with a block and reinstate.

Does the light come on?

Im confused whats the two cables with the cable tie round them for

The cables with the tie on are on the light fitting. About to have a go at suggestions so will advise progress

Thanks

Update: decided to try a simple 2 wire pendant light and wired the live into the switch live and neutral to neutral. It worked so think that means the switch is ok.

The picture shows choc block wired as follows:

Incoming/outgoing cables into chock block on top of picture. Switch live is the single black wire on top of block in second terminal from left. Live from switch cable is bottom of picture on far left terminal wired opposite the other live wires. Earth from switch cable on bottom right side, wired to earth from incoming/outgoing.

Light was wired live to switch live, neutral to neutral (incoming/outgoing) and earth to earth (incoming/outgoing)

Tried 2 earthed light fittings but not working. Confused still

Update: decided to try a simple 2 wire pendant light and wired the live into the switch live and neutral to neutral. It worked so think that means the switch is ok.
Then just connect the new light the same way.

The picture shows choc block wired as follows:
Incoming/outgoing cables into chock block on top of picture.
Right.

Switch live is the single black wire on top of block in second terminal from left.
SwitchED live. Ok.

Live from switch cable is bottom of picture on far left terminal wired opposite the other live wires.
Live TO the switch. Ok.

Earth from switch cable on bottom right side, wired to earth from incoming/outgoing.
All earths are just connected together.

Light was wired live to switch live, neutral to neutral (incoming/outgoing) and earth to earth (incoming/outgoing)
Right. It should work then.

Tried 2 earthed light fittings but not working.
It doesn't matter if the lights are earthed or not.

Confused still
Faulty light fitting ???

Try connecting it to a plug.

What is the black wire on the right which looks like it is descending from the earth connector?

Wired two light fittings to a plug and no joy. Wired a third
I had kicking around and it worked. Guess i'd got unlucky!

Thanks everyone for your help. Was beginning to think i'd gone slightly mad.

Cheers and have a good afternoon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back