Emergency lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all.

All was asked to do a favour for my dad today and have a look at a breaker that keeps tripping in his snooker club. Its a 5A with 2 cores in it. 1 supplying a wall light circuit in snooker room and 1 an emergency lighting circuit with 3 fittings on.

It's the emergency lights that are tripping it. It goes T+E to non-maintained - non-maintained - maintained emergency exit sign. At the exit sign there is a single live + E going somewhere?

I can't figure out what this is as i thought is was supplied direct from the breaker in case of a fault on the cicuit. It wouldn't link to another circuit would it? I thought this would be dangerous?

I told them to call an electrician, but i'm disappointed i couldn't figure it out. Can someone shed some light?

Sponsored Links
First, never "do favours" for any one, it will always turn nasty in some shape or form.

2nd

god knows what the other cable is for, and you are right it should not link to another cct

breezer said:
First, never "do favours" for any one, it will always turn nasty in some shape or form.

That comment sent a shudder down my spine!

I've never seen the sign in action, I think it stays on all the time.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
nOT SUPPLYING A LIGHT EXTERNAL TO THE EXIT IS IT?

Its only a 1 core + E, phase and cpc, a light would require a neutral..... wouldn't it?

If they've used singles they could have picked up a neutral from somewhere else? (hopefully on the same circuit :eek: )

The single live, what is it connected to at the exit sign?

Is it connected to the same terminal as the live from the T&E or does it go to a seperate terminal on the fitting?

I would guess that it is a switched live from the local lighting circuit or perhaps another switch somewhere to switch it into maintained mode.

breezer said:

..but you can dine out on the stories for years...... :LOL:

RF Lighting said:
The single live, what is it connected to at the exit sign?

Is it connected to the same terminal as the live from the T&E or does it go to a seperate terminal on the fitting?

It goes form the same terminal. There are only 3, P, N and E.

I'm really confused. I will go back tomorrow and hunt it down or it'll torment me! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back