Stuart Turner 3.0 bar pump twin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder can I fit a 3.0 bar pump on the pipe where it just come out from the cold tank & and hot cylinder and feed it to the pipe where it goes to the bathrooms?

so all the taps and shower mixer will be pressurised?

Is that ok? can a tap be pressurised via a pump like this one?, and this pipe will also apply to the WC cistern too.

will that be a problem? :rolleyes: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Be cheaper to connect your bathroom supplies to the rising main i.e. tee off your cistern feed pipe and reroute all your BR pipework to it :)

thanks BAHCO,
because I m living in a flat. The Water tank is at my eye level.

Thats y i m planning to fit a negative twin head pump.

However, as i want to change all my existing taps to a higher pressure specification one, like a grohe mixer tap, therefore I want to fit the pump to the pipe where it comes out from the water tank, and to all the taps and shower.

However my concern is that because the WC cistern is connected to the same pipe line, so the water will get pressurised as well.
I just wondered will that be a problem.......

connecting the all the tap to the main is a good idea, but what about the hot water then?

any help would be appricated, many thanks!

is ur tank u r talking about in the airing cupboard and how big is it

Sponsored Links
yes, my tank is in the airing cupboard.

The cold tanks is (HxWxD) 800mmx 600mm x 600mm (i dont know how many litres it can holds... sorry)

The hot cylinder is a 36" X 18".

Living in a flat will give you very poor pressure as your cistern will be directly above the cylinder.
Re-route all your cold pipework (except shower if you plan to install a pump to it) so that it is fed from the mains including WC.
Install a pump for your shower ( it will have to be a mixer type and not electric)
Your hot will be as before which should give you an ample supply.
:)

Thanks BAHCO,

let me just confirm myself :oops:

So you mean, run all COLD taps and WC from main.
Hot taps will run from cylinder, not pumped.

make extra pipe work to shower from Cold tank & Hot cylinder via a pump.

Do you think my Hot water cylinder is too small? only a 36" x 18"?

Yes that is what I would do for cheapest option.
Regarding cylinder size will depend on your hot water usage. Try it and if not enough you will have to upgrade.
Better still and would be my preferred option would be to install a combi if your mains pressure is up to it. All supplies would be at mains pressure and you can forget the noisy pump. :D
The combi haters will love me for saying this ;)

Whatever you do, DO NOT use mains cold and hot from your tank, IT WILL BE AN UNMITIGATED DISASTER.
They have to be at pretty much the same pressure for any sort of mixer to work well.

A 3 bar pump will also probably give you a load of trouble with a static head as low as yours. Reason - if you suck hard at the hot water tank, even using the best method which is an Essex flange, the product of the flow down the pipe which supplies the HW cyl and the resistance to that flow in the pipe, will give a pressure drop across its ends, especially if it's small like 22mm. 3 bar is 100 feet of suck. The water in your feed tank is how far above the side of the HW cyl where you'll take the HW off?? Probably 3-4 feet if it's on the same floor. So if the pressure drop in the supply pipe is more than 3-4 feet they you're sucking AIR down the vent pipe. No shower, bugered pump.

And I'm astonished that nobody has told you that you seriously DO NOT want to pump the supply to the WC. It'll bounce about with the pump flicking on and off and keep everyone in the building awake.

So there's some of the things you have to avoid. Do some more reading. There's loads online at the manufacturers' sites, and forums llike this and plumbingpages.com . But don't believe everything you read!

The problem is that my main pressure is not acutally that good...
just enough to run a combi..(about 1~2 bar i remembered when a corgi came tested it).

Therefore the shower wont be nice compare to having a 3 bar pump.

So i guess having a tank feed + pump is my only options. :(

ChrisR said:
Whatever you do, DO NOT use mains cold and hot from your tank, IT WILL BE AN UNMITIGATED DISASTER.
They have to be at pretty much the same pressure for any sort of mixer to work well.

A 3 bar pump will also probably give you a load of trouble with a static head as low as yours. Reason - if you suck hard at the hot water tank, even using the best method which is an Essex flange, the product of the flow down the pipe which supplies the HW cyl and the resistance to that flow in the pipe, will give a pressure drop across its ends, especially if it's small like 22mm. 3 bar is 100 feet of suck. The water in your feed tank is how far above the side of the HW cyl where you'll take the HW off?? Probably 3-4 feet if it's on the same floor. So if the pressure drop in the supply pipe is more than 3-4 feet they you're sucking AIR down the vent pipe. No shower, bugered pump.

And I'm astonished that nobody has told you that you seriously DO NOT want to pump the supply to the WC. It'll bounce about with the pump flicking on and off and keep everyone in the building awake.

So there's some of the things you have to avoid. Do some more reading. There's loads online at the manufacturers' sites, and forums llike this and plumbingpages.com . But don't believe everything you read!

hmn... ic...So what is the alternative options to run the pipes?

I already bought the 2 Thermostatic shower mixer and High pressure Taps (Grohe Eurodisc .http://www.plumb-warehouse.co.uk/ishop/968/shopscr242.html)

please helppp :eek: :(

Do some more reading. There's loads online at the manufacturers' sites, and forums llike this and plumbingpages.com .

Try Stuart Turner, Mira, Aqualisa, Salamander sites. Mira will tell you you cannot have any sort of pumped shower and you only option is electric.

Thanks ChrisR, i m still seeking more information and searching on the web.

So how about a "Mixer Tap lever" for washhand basin, that connects the Cold to the main and Hot from the cylinder?

Will that be problem too?

sorry for so much questions, i just hope i can get as much as info as possible.

Thanks a lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back