stuck in the attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
my father in law calls me, he has a leak.

from what i can see he has on oldish unvented system(80's), it has a blue steel expansion reservoir on top of the cylinder.

the leak only makes itself apparent when the sytem turns on in the morning, i am presuming that the air pocket in the expansion tank has gone and as the water expands it has nowhere else to go.

when my father inlaw was able to get into the attic he remedied the situation by turning off the cold water inlet, opening a hot tap until the water stopped and left the tap open. there is a foot-pump on top of the unit which can be connected to a nipple on top of the expansion tank, pump until the gauge reads 20 lbs, turn off the bathroom tap and turn on the cold water inlet. bingo he says....but it does not work.

i've pump endlessly but nothing happens, i can achieve the pressure by pumping as the cold water is let back in, this only last a day and then it leaks again!

any ideas
paul

Sponsored Links
Sorry to preach, but you must get a registered operator to work on the unvented tank. This is covered by G3 of the building regs. which makes it a criminal offence to work on such equipment over 15 litres unless registered.

The reason is because these things can take a house down if they go wrong, they should be serviced anually.

hello oilman

i've tried 8 plumbers from the yellow pages and the ones that came backy all said they don't touch unvented systems

any ideas on how to find somebody that does?

regards
paul

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back