Stuck tap changing washer - what to use?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm trying to change a tap washer, the tap is completely stuck and will not come apart, the whole thing turns - I cannot brace the tap from on top or underneath due to the awkward angles things are at.

What's the correct way to loosen it? I've tried WD40.

Would something like the "adjustable basin wrench/spanners" sold on ebay help me either hold the tap in place while turning or take the whole thing off and work on it in less crammed conditions?

Any tips about this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to hold the spanner on the top of the tap and then hit the spanner with a hammer which after a few goes nearly always works.

The problem there is the whole tap just moves and loosens, I need some way of holding the tap in place while pushing the spanner on the top of the tap.

Put a rag on the spout and use stillsons or similar to stop the tap turning

Sponsored Links
I've tried that too, even with someone else trying to brace the tap (with pipe spanner and old towel) the whole tap still moves.

Heat - pour boiling water over it a couple of times.
Then there's the blowlamp.

I'm trying to change a tap washer, the tap is completely stuck and will not come apart, the whole thing turns - I cannot brace the tap from on top or underneath due to the awkward angles things are at.

What's the correct way to loosen it? I've tried WD40.

Would something like the "adjustable basin wrench/spanners" sold on ebay help me either hold the tap in place while turning or take the whole thing off and work on it in less crammed conditions?

Any tips about this would be appreciated.

Tap headgear wont undo?? sounds like you need the new Easy Eapsplitter, this will get it off. Avoid taking off tap at all costs, just leads to more problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back