Stuck with fireplace removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Im in the middle of helping a friend take out her old fireplace. All was going well untill I saw a pipe coming from what appears to be a metal backing to this fireplace. I have managed to drill and smash the sides out but this back bit wont shift. Im a bit worried as it only has a small lintel across. Is this a back boiler and if so is it safe to take out. Iv put some pics up. Ithink I can take more bricks out and maybe try and pull it out???.

As you can tell I really dont know what im doing. Any advise please. Damsel in distress. :rolleyes:

Everyone is looking but no help as yet. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
No I checked that today and it stays cold. I think that means it must be disconnected. It also has a small hole in the base I think someone may have drilled it to let water out. If this is the case that it is no longer live do you think from the photos that it is structurally ok to remove. I'm thinking there must be a larger lintel higher up as someone has done a bad cement job eg its not very smooth just above the small lintel.

In your photos is that a hole that's been drilled in front bottom of the boiler?

Edit. Just seen your post

Sponsored Links
at the bottom of the metal section slightly to the right is a small drill hole yes

It may seem a daft comment but why remove the fire place, just cover it over and re plaster leaving a vent. If it has to come out then just remove it, neighbours must have done something similar and had no problems. The last one I saw being removed had nothing special done before it was removed. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back