Stud Extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Whan trying to change the ignition coil pack on my Megane Coupe, I came across a rounded hex bolt, which I really need to extract. Trouble is, somebody has obviously tried before and snapped off the tip of a stud extractor in the bolt. It doesn't look like it goes very deep, but I know they're extremely hard. Any ideas? I have considered taking a hammer and cold chisel to it, but seems a bit drastic.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've successfully removed snapped taps from through holes using a small sharpened centre punch and a 2lb hammer. The punch shatters the hardened tap.
Whatever you do, don't forget your safety glasses, flying hardened steel can cause horrendous injuries. :D

And do not forget what you are hitting and the possible effect on whatever it is fixed to.
A bolt you say, not a nut on a stud?
:?:

Yes it's a bolt with one of those star-shaped heads (well it was once). Somebody obviously tried to cut a slot with a hacksaw blade, to no avail, then snapped the stud extractor in there. I think i'll try the nail punch technique (with safety specs) and try drilling it again to extract.

Where there's a will there's a way i'm sure.

Sponsored Links
You can buy stud extractors which are like a socket with teeth on the inside of it. Not cheap, but never fail.

Make sure you put some sealant round the coil pack or the moisture gets in them and fries them

Back