Stud partition walls on first floor landing, advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope Ive put this in the right place but just wondered if anyone could help me please.
Im currently selling my house and have to get a letter saying whether or not the stud partion walls that we removed from the first floor landing were fire retaining or not.
Our stairs are in the centre of the house and it has brick built walls either side to the first floor landing, then studded partion walls to the ceiling. We had the partion walls removed about 8 years ago and replaced with spindles. Building regs have seen this (previous query whilst selling our house) and said building regs wouldnt have been required as they were non load bearing walls.
So would the removed walls have been a firebreak or fire retaining?
I think I know the answer is not what I want to hear so Im really hoping someone tells me otherwise.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
any stud wall will offer a certain level of fire resistance, wether it be, to keep the fire in the room or out. what specifically were they asking?

How many storeys high is your house?

Do you have rooms that open onto the stairwell without a door in the way?

Is it an ordinary family house, or multiple occupation?

Thanks for replying. Its my buyers lender who wants to know.
Theyve said I need a letter confirming that the studded walls we've removed werent originally put there for a fire break or for fire purposes.
This originally started when surveyor said that it appears structural alteration has been made and he assumed buiding regs were consulted. Building regs confirmed no structural work had been carried out and that it confirmed to BR at the time it was carried out about 8 yrs ago. Whats bugging me is next door has done the same, sold last month with no problems at all.
Sorry to waffle, just really flustered.

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks, it is a normal 3 bed family house, ground floor and first floor. Each bedroom and bathroom has a door that opens onto the landing with the stairwell running up the middle.
Is there anyone else apart from building regs I can get in, they scare the hell out of me!!

If it had been more than two storeys, you need the stairwell to be protected from fires in adjacent rooms so that they don't block your emergency escape.

No rooms in loft or basement, are there?

I don't know of anything comparable on a two storey house. Does anyone know what the issue is?

No theres no loft room or basement room.
Im presuming they are saying that without these 'cardboard' :mad: walls then fire can spread easier?
Thabks for helping, its really appreciated.

JohnD
Is there anywhere I can easily find this information and print it off. I feel I need all the back up and evidence possible on this.
Thanks again.

Sorry, don't know. I found out the bits that affect me (as I have a 3-storey house with fire doors and stuff) but don't know where to look.

Maybe ask your buyers what the issue is that they are concerned about? If you have any docs relating to the original removal (esp from BC saying they aren't concerned) offer copies. Or just say you don't know (this is surprisingly common in the meaningless ritual between house buyers and sellers). For example my house has a covenant saying that the front door and window frames mustn't be painted a different colour. Different colour from what? Doesn't say :LOL:

Thanks, buyers happy, its her mortgage lender whos asking and Ive given the paperwork from BC already. Aaaagh, it only ever happens to me. :(
Thanks again.

My experience of lenders is that they will not accept printed general information on this. You will probably need to have an RICS surveyor give you a written report which refers to your specific situation. I do these all the time and usually charge about £150 but it can't be done without seeing the property.

My advice is go to the RICS website 'find a surveyor' section. Put in your postcode and it will give you a list of surveyors local to you. Then call a couple of them, tell them what you need, make sure they have the right experience to give you a written report, and ask them for a quote.

Thanks jeds. Spoke to my solicitor today whos said to get building control out, Ive dealt with them before about these damn walls. They confirmed building control didnt need to be contacted as they were non load bearing walls.
Im really fed up with all this now, seems so unfair that next door has done exactly the same and sold last month without a mention of the dreaded missing walls.
Do you mind me asking you if in your experience these studded partition walls are a fire break. Thats the question the lenders are asking, I found out today. Apparantly if they were then I have to put them back up.
The landing has 3 bedrooms, bathroom and seperate toilet off it, each room has its own door and my property is a family 2 storey 3 bed house. There was never a door to the top or bottom of the stairs.
Talking to someone today who says his new build has the same layout and he had no problems when he bought it.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

It doesn't sound like it to me. What would have been the benefit of walls without a fire door at the top? Unless there might originally have been a fire door at the top which was removed before your time (unlikely though)

If the bottom of the stairs is open plan - i.e. the stairs rise straight off of a room - then under current regulations you would need to have fire escape windows off all the upstairs rooms. (except the bathroom) If the stairs rise off of a hallway and the travel distance is not unusually long then you would not need any special measures in a two storey house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back