Stud Wall Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As this is my first post hello to everyone on the forum.

I am planning a stud wall project. Our house dates from around 1900, the room I will be working in is a bedroom and still has the original coving and skirting board. The room previously had a stud wall which I have removed, however the smaller space had been converted into a kitchenette and that space still has hot and cold water pipes and waste disposal, as such we would like to put a shower room in this space.

As the coving is original and made of plaster I would like to do this without removing any if possible, also the head plate will be running parallel to the ceiling joists. In this instance what would be the best way to fix the head plate.

I am also reluctant to remove any of the skirting board. I believe it is original to remove any skirting board. It is original and is attached to the brickwork using wooden wedges that stick into the brickwork. With the coving above and skirting below what would be the best way to place and fix the end studs of the wall?

This is my first stud wall project so if it does seem that I am going about this the wrong way then please tell me.

I have attached two photos, the first shows the skirting board (I will remove the piping and repair the floorboards prior to starting), the second shows the coving.

Thanks in advance,
Roberto.

Sponsored Links
Fix a stud onto the wall running from above the skirting to just below the coving. When you make-up the stud framenotch out the corner to accommodate the coving ay the top. The plasterboard can be cut much more accurately and the skim will get the rest

And the headplate- can you get above the ceiling? If the head happens to be directly below a joist then fix to that, if it doesn't then you'll have to fix noggins between the 2 joists (nearest to where the headplate is going) and then fix your head plate to the noggins.

If your ceilings are original lath and plaster you may be better off screwing the timber rather than spiking it (less chance of big lumps of plaster dropping off)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back