Stud wall without ceiling head plate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i am planning to put a stud partition in a warehouse space. it will be 2.4 m high and span 10.5 meters wide from wall to wall. the ceiling height is easily 4m. not only would that be a lot of material, i would lose a lot of natural light.
i have read a lot about the ceiling head plate - but in this case wont have one.
how should i go about this - will it be sturdy / stable enough without? it wont be load bearing at all - just to seperate the space in two... with a door.
any suggestions?
thanks!
alex

Sponsored Links
Hi,

others might have different ideas but i think if you do what you suggest it would be too flimsy and wobble every time you shut the door, can you great an office in a corner, ie two walls in an L shape with a plywood roof? that would help tie your walls together and if done properly could act as useful storage

use metal straps to tie the wall to the roof area. only need a few i reckon.

A 10m long (slab) wall without any head restraint will be unfeasible. It will be like a sail in the wind.

The only way, as i see it, is to shape the wall with one or two 90 degree turns in it to gain stability.

Sponsored Links
Fix studding or steel wires to the roof. DO put on a timber header plate and fix the wire/stud through this plate, Then use nut and washer or cable clamp to secure.

Plus Nose's idea.

If the door is going to be reasonably central I would fix the studding for this to the warehouse ceiling and the floor. You are now only building 2 5M walls which are securly fixed at both ends. Run your top and bottom track in single lengths and you should be fine. You might want to use 7"x2" for the door jambs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back