Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Me and my Dad ( well mainly my Dad) is helping to refurbish an old house in South Reading.

Currently we are working on the bathroom my dad is helping to create a stud wall.

I had a Tiler come around and he said the stud wall my dad done was basically rubbish ive attached a few photos there not great. You can't see but at the top of the stud wall my dad was screwed some screws diagonally across the right angle where the top meets the bottom.

The wall does wobble if you shake it hard he said every time someone slams that door shut the tiles and going to move and may eventually crack.

View media item 80617
View media item 80618
My Dad also plans to run an electric cable up it is that safe? We will use Aqua board to cover one side of it.

Obviously most pro builders are going to say they can make a better stud wall than a DIYer but should the stud wall not move at all?

Sponsored Links
Ideally stud walls, like most walls do not want to be wobbling and moving about, as that will obviously cause issues with regards to the movement of other materials attached.
And if I were tiling to a wobbly wall, I would not be particularly happy if asked to return to do remedial work that was not through any cause of mine.

So I would consider trying to strengthen wall, the panels/boards will help this but make sure you have fixed securely to floor, ceiling and adjacent walls.

With regards to electric cables within the stud, the cable would need to be routed within the permitted safe zones within walls and also safely routed through any joist, there are regulation regarding this.
Also any new circuit would require building controls notification and as the cable is within the wall 30mA RCD protection is required.
There will also be some design calculation required to make sure the circuit is suitable for use, then once designed, installed it would be a requirement to inspect, test and document the findings.

Why is the wall moving? should not budge is screwed to wall/ceiling and floor.
Nothing wrong with putting screws thru diagonally.
Is there a doorway cannot see upper timber spanning that?
Every timber you add or sheet material will make the wall more rigid, don't see the tiler can predict the finish until it is.
You could continue the timber down between the pipes to the floor to reduce the span for the aqua panel.

Sponsored Links
cant see anything attaching the stud to the floor even in that photo? if youre having a problem attaching something into the ceiling because it doesnt meet any joists just chuck a few noggins in under the upstairs floor boards and join the wall to them. if it isnt completely solid then its not doing much more than a wood curtain would.

would you be happy to have a wall like that in your house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back