Stud work in brick store room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all... perhaps i'm not searching correctly but... the house I own has had a storeroom built onto it at some point, its single thickness brick construction, flat concrete roof covered in felt, concrete floor... physically attached to the house.

It originally was used as a store room for tools & garden equipment but is also where the electrical supply comes in, main fuse board is in the room... long story short I want to turn it into a utility room, hot & cold water supply has already been run in there, sink & washing machine are installed.

The interior walls are bare brick... I plan to put studwork & plasterboard up to make it a bit better looking... 90% sure on how to do this but wanted to ask a few questions before I went ahead

1. Do I need to put a waterproof membrane (plastic sheet) on the bare brickwork & cement ceiling before putting the studwork up?

2. Is 63mm x 38mm studwork timber (from Wickes) sufficient?

3. Does the insulation board (polystyrene) need to fill the gap between the brick wall & insulation board completely, ie no gaps front to back and left to right, the insulation board cant move at all... or do you want a bit of a gap here so that air circulates?

4. Pipework and some wiring (mainly earthing) are currently affixed to some of the walls... can I stud & plasterboard over these things so that its all hidden?

The room will be used purely as a utility although the dog might sleep in there occasionaly, it wont have any rads, it has one window in it which can be left open to avoid condensation and to allow air to circulate.

On the right track?

Sponsored Links
Just about to convert my garage and all your questions are of equal interest to me.
Look forward to hearing any feedback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back