Studwall between kitchen and bathroom in a flat

It's in the thread you pointed me to There's a lot of nonsense in there (according to my copy of 17th anyway)!
Hey there, I’m not the Forum policeman & I'm not responsible for incorrect posts by others; :rolleyes: Not everyone gets it right all of the time including me on occasions! The many regulars on here usually pick it up if you get it wrong, its how this forum works; but you seem to be fairly clued up. ;)
How do you provide under-worktop sockets for w/machine; fridge; freezer; dishwasher; waste disposal etc then? Can't you spur from over-worktop socket separately down to each device (which I was planning)? Do you need separate radials to each? Groan.....
You can’t daisy chain on a spur from a ring main; if you have a lot of under-counter sockets, then the best way of doing it is to extend the ring through each & then go back into the ring. I don't understand your comment on a radial circuit; as far as I know a radial must come direct from the C/U & there is a limit on the number of S/O on that circuit; a daisy chain on a spur is not a radial circuit!
Does it really constitute forming a new room just to move the existing partition between 2 rooms 600mm, making one smaller and the other larger? Seems a bit OTT, really.
Maybe it is & maybe not, look at the guidelines on the planning portal & check it out yourself with your LABC.
I was unsure about the "new connections" re soil stack but, since they'll be out of sight in the service shaft, which, strictly, isn't part of my flat.
So that makes it OK then does it! :rolleyes:
The Council is only ever likely to send an unqualified plumber to fix a tenant's leak in there once in a blue moon. There's a strong chance they'd say no if I ask (since it's theirs and not mine and the connections would be somewhere between my flat and the flat downstairs with very difficult access) but would never know if I didn't. Maybe that's not a problem for BC but could be for the Council as landlord (which is another reason I don't want to tell BC, of course, they'd spill the beans to leasehold section, I'm sure, and then I know for certain I've got weeeeks of headaches coming - been there).
I really can’t comment on that & it sounds to me you are now entering sour grapes territory!
I'll 'phone BC tomorrow and explain what I'm proposing anyway, as you recommend. I've now got everything spec'd to BRs anyway so it ought not to be a problem, as you say. I just hate the idea.......... Better safe than sorry though, for sure.
Good idea!
PS A friend told me yesterday he'd circumvented BC by claiming to the chief BI that a new window in his attic (which is now habitably converted) was purely so they could look out through it whilst in there for storage access. After the BI had left they moved the roof supports across from the specified central position in the room to different locations at each end to avoid ducking. He then proceeded to complete the habitable part of the conversion. I must mention the requirements you pointed out on a sale of property to him......... I assume the BS's surveyor would check the certs at BC and find the defect?
Good luck to him; sounds like a complete chancer, I sincerely hope he gets caught out & it costs him loads of ££££! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
vargen wrote:
It's in the thread you pointed me to There's a lot of nonsense in there (according to my copy of 17th anyway)!

Hey there, I’m not the Forum policeman & I'm not responsible for incorrect posts by others;

I know, Richard. You asked me where I got it from. I just replied with a statement of fact............ I'm just a novice, mate and I tend to think everyone else here knows more than I do and that what I thought was right is probably wrong when I read something contradictory to my understanding, eg about earthing capping. I got it wrong about "protection", for example. I thought "protection" meant mechanical protection, when it referred to RCDs. It seems even the pros do get it round their necks, though :)

Re daisy chaining spurs - I had planned to run from each appropriately placed over-worktop socket to an over-worktop fused spur connection and then down from there to an under-worktop socket for each of the kinds of devices I listed in my previous post. AFAIK you can't have under-worktop sockets without the fused spur connections, ie as just part of the ring, as you describe as the best way. I certainly wasn't thinking of running under-worktop fused spur connections in a daisy chain from just one over-worktop socket in the ring!

Yes, a radial circuit would come direct from the CU. If my understanding of how to do it correctly (as above) is wrong, the only possible alternative would be to run a radial circuit to each under-worktop device, wouldn't it? I think you may have misunderstood my earlier post on this and/or I misunderstood yours....... Pretty sure I'm right about those fused spurs, though.

Actually, it's not really sour grapes, it's just trying to find the most professional, safe, although perhaps not necessarily altogether squeeky-clean legit, solution to completing this work via the easiest, least complicated route for myself, without getting bogged down in beaurocracy. If it's done right, it's safe and it works, why do I have to deal with 3rd parties if I don't need to........... and can get away with not doing. Maybe I'm just arrogant!

Our views on 'legit' may very well be at variance but I do take your point about future problems and appreciate the advice you've given in that respect (as well as the rest of your advice, too). You did say yourself you'd had a problem with BC "but got around it". I'm anticipating a problem and trying to do the same.

BC's probably not the problem, but another section of the council would be, simply because they're unimaginative, beaurocratic pedants who can't think for themselves. Just a statement of fact..... Having dealt with the Council's chief electrical engineer, years ago when I was a tenant, who unexpectedly came to inspect their contactors' rewiring, which I was at that very moment in the middle of seruptitiously re-rewiring, because it was a plastic conduit nightmare mess, over a cup of tea said, "Sure, you go ahead, no problem, you obviously know what you're doing". He was a really good guy, and a surveyor I spoke to a few years ago about this very plan, actually, told me then he was happy for me to go ahead and do it all myself but wanted me to get a plumber to make the connections and test it. Electricals were no problem as far as he was concerned, he was only worried about flooding via the service shaft in lower floor flats. He is also a good guy, and, actually so is a young guy I spoke to in BC only last week about min standards, before you posted so helpfully. I know BC would probably be OK about this project. But as landlord of my leasehold - forget it!

My lease specifically states I can undertake internal, non-structural, non-architectural alterations to my heart's content. But the leasehold section will argue until everyone is blue in the face that leaseholders need their permission to do ANYTHING. Their block capitals on their consent application forms, and references to the very sections and subsections in the leases they are contradicting in saying it. It took 6 months to get a Yes for a satellite dish! This is what I want to avoid the anguish of going through and I guess my earlier post, which you interpreted as sour grapes, was me trying to justify what I want to do, as a moral proxy perhaps, because what you say is obviously right and I'm wrestling with myself over a decision.

I am extremely grateful, Richard, for the time and effort you have been taking to help me out with this. I am just a bit confused about these fused spurs, though............. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back