'Stuff' in Storage Tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently worked on a mains storage tank and came across some strange sediment coating the bottom. I wondered if anyone has come across the same as i never have. It is bright orange in colour and is like a silica gel in composition. There was a couple of bucket loads of the stuff. I cleaned out the tank and took a sample with a view to getting it analysed. Problem is unless they know what to test for I cant get an idea of cost. There is spotting in the loft on the fibre glass lagging (recently laid) which is the same colour. I'm wondering if it's off the felt backing on the roof or even from the roof tiles as they are the same colour. Could it be something from the lagging? The tank is tight in the loft and the lid was fitted as such but it was all over the place when i started. This probably all sounds a bit vauge but i wondered if any one has had a similar problem.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't appear to be rust. It's too orange and doesn't crumble. It's a strange looking stuff it's similar in appearence to roe eggs only smaller. The customer lives in Kent which I believe is primarily chalk based. Come across some stuff in tanks in my time but this is a new one on me. :confused:

Bacteria :eek: tho` probably harmless. Seen it in Hotel dishwashers :idea: -mechanical ones ...The Human ones just get cirrhosis of the liver

Sponsored Links
Thanks John Thanks Nige,
I reckon I got most of the stuff out but i'll advise them to go for a flush thru and chlorination as a test will be inconclusive without costing loads and monitor the situation. The customer has complained of skin complaints in the past but as she said it may well be a case of 2 and 2. Hmmm still a bit of a puzzler tho unless anyone else has any further theories.

Onetap, how would the resin get into the mws tank, over dosing you reckon? I checked out the link and it does look like the stuff. I dont remember seeing a softener on site but could be in the garage and i'm sure they would have mentioned it. It may have been removed of course. It doesn't account for the marks in the loft but that could just be coincidence.

Onetap, how would the resin get into the mws tank, over dosing you reckon?

The resin looks like fine sand, but it is very small spheres of resin. You will recognise it if you roll some in your fingers (or walk on some that has been dropped!).

The softener acts like a filter in service, it just passes the water through the resin. If the strainer/filter on the outlet is damaged, you can get resin discharged. There may have been a softener on the mains riser supplying the tank, with the kitchen tap untreated. The resin is inert and could have been lying in the tank for years.

Thanks guys, another mystery solved. Got in touch and they had had a softener. Been in touch with a water treatment company and they ran thru it and explained it exactly as you did onestop. Got to go back and chlorinate their system now as they aren't too happy with having it in their system. i explained it's harmless but hey. Thanks again. Fancy helping me out locating a mnm shower pump pls see my new thread.

Thanks for reporting back.

The resin just needs to be cleaned out of the tank, it won't degrade and pollute the water any more than all the other plastic plumbing fittings will. Drain the tank and use a wet vacuum, or use a garden hose to syphon out the tank contents into a drain and use the end in the tank like a hoover to suck up the resin with the water. A syphon hose dropping 2 storeys will generate a powerful suction.

There's also the opportunity to offer to install a water softener. The one they had previously probably didn't work very well, having little resin in it and they've probably still got all the valves installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back