Sub base material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.
I am sure the question has been asked before, but here's the situation.
I am looking to lay probably up to 60m2 of patio, some of it over the site of a removed concrete path (was broken, uneven etc).
What was under the concrete could probably be called sub base - I think its's a bit crap - thin in some places, thick in others... but less than half the area that will eventually be slabbed. I was going to dig it up and re-use it where I could.
I am also looking to lay the front garden to lawn instead of the "maintenance free" 20mm golden gravel that is currently there.

Being a great one for re-using materials, I wondered if there was anything I could do to this 20mm gravel to make it suitable as part of the sub base.
It is said it doesn't hold together well - I can understand that. Would mixing it with the existing sub base help? Or sand, or some other material that would fill in the gaps? It will obviously be contained anyway as the slabbed area will be at ground level, so the sub base will be contained on all sides.
Is it possible, or is it a total non-starter?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back