Sub-circuit off ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm doing some electrical work in the kitchen of my new house and I've found the wiring for the garage has been taken from a junction box spurred from the socket ring main. It looked a bit dodgy so I've disconnected it all but I need to reinstate it. Can I make a small sub-circuit/ spur with a two mcb consumer unit on the ring main pretty much as it was or do I have to start back at the main fuse board? I hope that makes sense to those in the know.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You can take a spur from a ring to feed a garage. Assuming:
a) the cable going to the garage is the same size as the cable that makes the ring (usually 2.5mm²)
b) the cable is properly protected (eg armoured if buried)
c) there is an RCD either protecting the ring circuit or protecting the sockets in the garage itself

Do also remember that any electrical work carried out in a kitchen or outside (eg garage) must be notified to the local authority before the work is carried out. (See WIKI)

Thanks for that.

The original cable that runs from the house to the garage presently is armoured as it's buried (albeit not very deeply) so I'll reuse that pretty much as it is for the moment.

There's no (new style) circuit breaker on the main ring just the original 30A fuse in the fuse box. Between the ring and the garage I'll put a small circuit breaker located in the kitchen.

I've been on to the LA and they're coming out to have a look at the first fix soon so fingers crossed everything should be OK but I just needed to check some of the less obvious fundamentals beforehand.

Cheers again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back