sub contracting work out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm thinking of subbing some work out but as i've not done it before i'm a little shy on the payments mainly, take a laminate floor job for example, if i got my mate to do it, would you take the payment from the customer yourself after then pay him or ask for part of the price up front?

Sponsored Links
Depends what amount of cash you're looking at. If you're acting as the main contractor, then it's not unreasonable for you to pay him out of your own pocket, and get reimbursed from the customer at a later date when they settle up.

I'm sometimes in the position of 'one of your mates' and insist payment is made to me by the employer (you), not their client, irrespective of when you get paid by the client, that way even if they get problems getting cash out of their client I always get paid.

Be careful of the law in what ever you do .
i have been told that if you are getting some one to work for you , even if they are not directly employed by you, you will need employers liability insurance. the definition was vague but it seems if you ask some one to 'go do a job in this place' you don't need insurance but if you were on site and directing people around the same job you would .

Sponsored Links
Hi mattchip. We sub work out all the time. Its a judgement. If you aren't getting payed for two weeks i would pay your mate and wait to get it back. If its just a couple of days ask your mate if he can wait for it. And dont forget to make a little off his hard work ;)

Thanks for responses guys ,the actuall job didnt come off in the end but he has worked for me before and ive taken your comments on board about emplo :) yers liability especialy. He is a mate so i prefer to pay him straight away regardless of if i'm paid by the customer or not.

If you used a mate to help on a job, how would you reflect this in your accounts - ie his "wage"?

Sponsored Links
Back