Subbies Sundries?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I subby for a property maintenance company. Been with them for about a year. All good, enjoy the work, but my last cheque has come with a travis perkins invoice attached to it, with purchases of latex gloves, hand wipes, and a wood chisel (bought for a job, on the company account) all highlighted (presumably because they want me to pay for them).

I hold my (dirty!) hands up to the wood chisel, but I'm a bit miffed about being billed for gloves and wipes, considering the number of jobs I have involving fixing toilets and dealing with other commerical kitchen related nasties.

Where do subbies stand with regards to PPE requirements etc? Anyone else got any experience with this?

Ta,
Al

Sponsored Links
do they supply screws nails chaulking gripfil etc or do you?
if your working on a supply and fit then i would say then its down to you,if they supply all fixings etc then i would argue the toss with them.
as you are a subby then i would expect you to have your own ppe which i would say latex gloves will come under that remit.

Yeh, the usual things like silicone, gripfill, screws etc are provided.

Will see what the boss says tomorrow (I've been buying gloves and wipes since I started, but this is the first time they've been flagged).

Incidentally, what about parking costs / parking fines (when being sent to deal with emergency repairs in places like central london (£4.40ph!!!))

Ta,
Al

Strange situation with subbies. Technically they are employed by the company on an ad hoc basis, but the fact that they are employed confers on them some rights. Last job I had involved hiring subbies and our company always supplied PPE (not that it was used often).
I suppose the companies get out is the fact that you are self employed so they might expect you to supply your own PPE.
I know several agencies who supply PPE to all temporary staff they use.
Will have to delve further into H&S for a definitive answer. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
it is very simple, what did you agree when you discussed your T&C's, same with parking fees, parking fines are different no company will pay for your illegal activity

surely a subbie is a sub-contractor, not an employee who has different rights.

If you were an employee they would have to pay employers NI, PAYE, maybe even sick pay. They don't do that, do they?

Parking is down as materials, normally just added to the job but parking fines are down to the subby.

Who are you working for?

Andy

If you're "labour only" then I personally think that you took liberties & would have done the same.

Sponsored Links