Subsidence??? ... Really need help/advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've joined here sinply to ask this question!!! Hoping to get my bil out to have a look as he's a builder but thought i'd try and put my mind at ease (which is no easy thing!) I'm sorry now if I waffle on!!!!!

I have become aware of an extremely large crack across my living room ceiling! I was aware of some bowing of the ceiling, and also that directly upstairs (which is my son's room) that the floor was springy not long after I moved in here! I rent the property from a friend (who I need to contact about my concerns) and she had been trying to sell the property before hand and had surveys etc. I was told that any cracks were due to settlement and didn't think anything of what I'd noticed due to this! However I've lived here more than 2 years now with 2 very cold (and snowy) winters and 1 dry summer, and just recently a heatwave in April! Also last weekend we had the strongest winds ever!!!! I noticed this crack the other day because I happened to be sat at my dining table below and looked up, I have no idea how long it could've been like that! Anyway since then I've noticed a million cracks, and I'm trying to remain calm! Above the window in the upstairs room there is a pattern of zig zag cracks along it, there are also cracks in the lower corners of that wall. There is a boxed off corner to the right of my son's window that actually is above the kitchen, and this has a crack from my son's ceiling to the skirting board. I've noticed some faint signs of zig zag cracks along the walls in both the living room and my son's room. I've been outside, and noticed small but still visible zig zag cracks in 2 parts of this same wall altho there are no internal cracks in these places (yet!) My floor is slightly raised from the ground, by about 2 bricks (you have to step down from front and back). My home is semi detached and I have walked right round the side to where this corner is (luckily it is exposed) and in the very corner, 2 bricks up there is a bit of difference in the wall (the bricks above seem to half bulged out from these foundation bricks. The cement in the brickword between what I assume is the floor of my sitting room and the ground seems to be crumbly and not very consistent now. Also I have tested my living room floor which also seems to have slight spring in the same spot as in my son's room altho it is nowhere near as severe.

Things I know about my area, are number 1, there is a mine shaft under the carpark beside my home (same side as these problems), and 2 further mineshafts on the estate (which is why my landlord could not sell the house). Also, number 2 there has been recent digging up for new electricity pipes underground (along the front of the property and also in the carpark). One other thing I will add is my son recently (last week) flooded the bathroom which did come thru the kitchen ceiling slightly (on opposite side of the house), but caused little other damage (landlord was out to check), so I do not think this is related but thought I'd mention it in case anyone thinks otherwise (and in which case I would be responsible for getting this problem sorted out)! My main worry that this is in fact subsidence!!

Please please tell me what you think! I'm going to upload photos of what I can show you all!
Marion

Sponsored Links
Oh I should add, it is a lounge/diner and is an extremely large room!!! With no visible support in between (no dividing wall, I'm not sure what's in between the ceiling and the upstairs floor if I'm honest)

There sure seems to be a few cans of worms here.......bouncy floors can be due to insufficient structure to hold them up, or timber beams used that simply aren't up to the job. This can also affect the stability of the plaster on walls and ceilings.
If the property is actually subsiding there will be evidence of cracking on the outside brickwork, perhaps on the concrete raft that the house is built on and maybe some of the gaps around the doors may be inconsistent - maybe the doors have started jamming too?
I think I'd recommend your landlord gets a structural engineer to do a proper survey....I'd also be glad that I didn't own the property - at least at this stage!
Looking forward to the pics.....
John :)

Hi
I've joined here sinply to ask this question!!! Hoping to get my bil out to have a look as he's a builder but thought i'd try and put my mind at ease (which is no easy thing!) I'm sorry now if I waffle on!!!!!

Marion

You might be better of asking this in the building forum.

Sponsored Links
If you rent why worry? Sounds to me like a load bearing wall has been removed but no RSJ put in.

I've added it on there thanks! Wasn't sure where to put it!

I'm a natural worrier so that's why I'm letting it bother me! Lol! :)

Oh I should add, it is a lounge/diner and is an extremely large room!!! With no visible support in between (no dividing wall, I'm not sure what's in between the ceiling and the upstairs floor if I'm honest)

If you have a bedroom wall above going across the lounge you should be able to pull up a floor board or two next to the wall to reveal a steel beam holding the wall up. A brick wall should not be sat on the floor boards because it can also carry the weight of the bedroom ceiling.
Anyway good luck when putting your cup down.

What is the point of renting if you are going to be worrying about the structure of the property?

Let the landlord worry about it and sort it out :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back