Substation and land around it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small substation next door to me. This is built on land that looks as if it originally was taken from my garden. I think this because of how my garden boundry goes around it. The landlord of some shops at the other side of it, is under the impression he owns the land around it. The land down the side and back of it between the substation brickwall and my boundry wall. This land is adout two to three feet wide. I would asume that the substation people own it so they can get around it for maintenance. Is this guy deluded ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me if substations have x amount of land beyond their brick walls for maintenance purposes ?

You could ask your DNO. They ought to know how much land they own - I expect they have records of all the land they own, as well as where their lines go over private land, and they have permission from land owners etc.

A water pumping station in the base of this information.

Wall of the building was one foot in from the boundary of the site. Adacent land owners were obliged to allow access over their land to enable maintainance purposes. This forced them to plant their boundary hedges and fences several feet from thier side of the boundary so hedges and fences may not be an accurate indication of the true boundary line.

Not all utility company buildings are on land owned by the utility company but may be built on landed rented from the owners. Over time these rental agreements tend to lapse or otherwise get forgotten about. We have a long disused village "sewage works" on our land for which the rent was fixed at two shillings and sixpence some time around 1910 ( from memory ). Two large built septic tanks now back filled.

It's possible that the substation people don't legally own it...but the owner may still not be able to do anything with it due to a right of access.
eg. I own part of the private road in front of my house, but I can't block it off because my neighbours have right of access through it.

I get a yearly wayleave cheque from Central Networks for the two poles on my land :cool:

About enough for an annual pint of mild and a bag of scratchings :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back