substrate for parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been dead jammy and landed enough free (yes, FREE!)parquet blocks from an old school building to re-floor two good sized rooms!
O.K., gloat over, my query is this; can I lay this parquet directly onto a sound plastic (of some sort) tiled floor? If so, could I use bitumen or would I need a different adhesive?
Cheers in advance

boulderburns

Sponsored Links
Plastic is never a sound base for any adhesive.
Your FREE blocks, did they come without attached bitumen?

Wow! pacey reply WoodYouLike!

No , FREE blocks ALWAYS come with free bitumen attached I would guess. I'm informed by someone-who-knows someone-who....(ad nauseam), that this shouldn't present too big a problem regarding re-laying. Is this right?
the plastic, btw, is/are vinyl floor tiles, and laid on what looks like bitumen too (doesn't smell like it though). Concrete floor below this. Dya think it would be worth laying a block or two on the tiles as a sort of dry run in a dark, unused corner? Or better yet, right by the back door. That way I may get to leg up the mother-in-law as she walks in. If the blocks and tiles remain intact I'm onto a winner!
What do you think?

Sponsored Links
boulderburns said:
Wow! pacey reply WoodYouLike!

No , FREE blocks ALWAYS come with free bitumen attached I would guess.

:LOL: That's what I thought also (gloat over ;) )
The problem with plastic (vinyl is plastic) is that it has a smooth surface, plus it can sweat when covered with other substance.

Bitumen residue has a strange effect on 'modern' adhesive: it might take much longer for the blocks to bond with the adhesive. If you want to try it out on your mother-in-law: take out more insurance cover :LOL:

IMHO best option is to screed over the vinyl tiles, remove as much free bitumen from the blocks, try out an area with blocks and modern adhesive to see how long it does take for them to bond (there will be bitumen residue on the blocks after proper cleaning). If you're on to a winner, install the rest of the floor.

As you can see: nothing is ever for free :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back