Suggestions for a covering for deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - would really appreciate any suggestions/advice for the following:

Pics below of the decking area that I would like to have a standalone covering for (ideally covering all of it, but possibly partially). The deck is 7.8 metres x 2.85 metres. The height up to the top of the brickwork is only 2.28 metres - potentially, we were thinking to redirect the guttering around the new covering structure, but not sue how viable this is.

The plan would be to have posts going through the decking and anchored to the ground level underneath. Then, the big question is what type of covering/roofing to have above. I'm really keen on polycarbonate (protecting from sun & rain, but still allowing light), but my Dad has an irrational hatred of polycarbonate - he thinks it's cheap **** that will be difficult to waterproof in sheets, not sturdy enough for high winds, and is not a high quality material at all. Is he justified in this thinking at all? He just wants a solid roof over the deck.

If you were in this situation, I'd love to hear what you think would be the best way to go and your reasoning. Thanks very much in advance!

Attachments

• 20230609_160713.jpg
    20230609_160713.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230609_160931.jpg
    20230609_160931.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230609_160814.jpg
    20230609_160814.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Waste of time, are you expecting rain? If it's raining just stay indoors!

Polycarbonate looks cheap because it is cheap. Get a glazing firm to price up for a toughened glass roof if you want it to look good.
But it won't be cheap.

A retractable awning might be a better option, you can get fancy motorised ones with built in lights and heaters.

Willing to pay up to £3-4k for the right solution.

To be honest, the suggestion "just stay indoors" isn't really helpful, as if I hadn't considered that. I actually love sitting outdoors when it's raining - I just don't want to get wet while it's happening. Equally, I'd like some protection from the sun. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Thanks for the (more helpful) suggestion of an awning - I have thought about that, but with concern about sturdiness and reliability of motors. I'd be happy to know of any recommendations of awnings that are as wind resistant as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back