Confusing quotes for flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have received two different quotes for redoing my flat roof (a 1970s townhouse with flat roof throughout). Both roofers are highly recommended -- one in the roofers association and one highly recommended by a friend who has used him on mulitiple occasions. The roof, including a converted garage area, is about 60 square metres.

Roofer no. 1's quote came to £4298 + a possible £1815 if the decking needed replacing, which he said he won't be able to see until he's stripped the roof. He said that the roof isn't asphalt.

Roofer no. 2 came to £4,200 all in, and he said that he was 100% sure that it is an asphalt roof and that therefore there isn't an issue with the decking. Does an asphalt roof not have decking on or do you think he's just willing to absorb the cost of the decking whereas no. 1 isn't??

When I went back to no. 1 he accepted that the roof was asphalt as the other guy was so sure.

I don't know which one to use. Roofer no. 1 can do it straight away while the weather is good, while no. 2 can't do it for about a month, so more water may come in (there is already a leak in one room). Also roofer no. 1 has insurance for hot works and to protect the public, don't know about no. 2.

I would really welcome any advice you can give me as am tossing and turning about this! Which quote sounds more sensible? I would like to use no. 1 but not if it works out to be far more expensive for no reason.

With many thanks for your help...

Sponsored Links
In my area it would be £22 per metre, to felt 3 layers hot bitumen, green min edges, using trad felts, not poly felts, poly ht felts cost more, so check!!

asphelt would normally be on a concrete roof, not wooden deck!

If he can do it now, i would wonder why? most good ones would be busy!!

My info is from a 40 yrs trademan

Were the quotes for felt? If so I'd say thats expensive IMO, You'd get EPDM for around the same price surely?

Thanks a lot for your replies:
The guy is available because he has some staff in between jobs. He usually is quite busy but I did ask him for the quote some time ago and he didn't get around to giving it to me until last week, and he happens to have a window next week. He does not usually do asphelt roofs, he usually does the other kind. Therefore do you think it is a risk to use him? He is in all the associations (master builders and roofers etc) and has very good references but I do know he doesn't usually like to do asphelt. He doesn't say the type of felt on his quote: "Lay pour and roll built up roofing to new timber deck, dress felt up walls. Finish with gritting solution, followed by white solar reflective marble chippings. "
The other guy didn't mention decking, are you saying that you just never have decking with an asphalt roof?
You mention EPDM -- what is that?
I am in London, perhaps that's why it's so expensive??
With many thanks for your invaluable advice.

Sponsored Links
4loowfl.jpg

One i did, but i no experience, best not to try

£500 cost to pour n roll, mats only, using trad felts, last 15yrs prob

[/img]

I would ask and check, to see felts, as some tell you anything, ie 3 layers and do 1, or dont take the old stuff off, just go over

Webly said:
Thanks a lot for your replies:
The guy is available because he has some staff in between jobs. He usually is quite busy but I did ask him for the quote some time ago and he didn't get around to giving it to me until last week, and he happens to have a window next week. He does not usually do asphelt roofs, he usually does the other kind. Therefore do you think it is a risk to use him? He is in all the associations (master builders and roofers etc) and has very good references but I do know he doesn't usually like to do asphelt. He doesn't say the type of felt on his quote: "Lay pour and roll built up roofing to new timber deck, dress felt up walls. Finish with gritting solution, followed by white solar reflective marble chippings. "
The other guy didn't mention decking, are you saying that you just never have decking with an asphalt roof?
You mention EPDM -- what is that?
I am in London, perhaps that's why it's so expensive??
With many thanks for your invaluable advice.

EPDM is a single ply rubber material, Look it up on the net......you'll be surprised.

30+ Years it lasts, i'd always go with this material on a flat roof, Cost can differ with location but up here in Birmingham the cost is around the £60-£120 a sq mt. It just depends on how much you look around TBH. Even at........ lets say £75 sq mt your getting a far superior product.

I'd highly recommend you look into it.

Many thanks for your replies. The flat roof looks great and the house looks exactly like my house. Is your one asphelt or does it have wooden decking? Thanks again,...

That is wooden deck and felted, i think you mixing up asphelt, and felting?

I would avoid epdm, its sold by companies with there own installers, as for 30 yr guarantee, will the firm be around then?

Stick to tried and tested felt, Most roofs join to next doors and have awkward shapes, try doing that with a bit of rubber

If you want a long lasting roof, use polyester felts quite a bit more expensive but will last 20 easy, and by its life, you have had your monies worth

The skill is in the installer, loads of cowboys

Hi, thanks for the advice. I didn't get mixed up, it's just that one builder said it was asphelt and one said it was a wooden deck with felting -- so I don't know WHAT to think!! Is it possible to tell just by looking what kind it is? Is it a bit strange that they both thought different things? Many thanks.

If felt, it should have green drips around the edge

asphelt is laid in one go,

Mastic asphalt is a mixture of limestone and bitumen and is commonly used to provide waterproof and hardwearing surface to roofs, balconies, roof top car parks and service decks . The bitumen and closely graded stone are added together to form a molten mass that is fluid enough to be laid by wooden float yet sets quickly to create a voidless block that is impermeable to water, gas and contaminants.

Independent testing by the Building Research Establishment puts the life expectancy of mastic asphalt in roofing applications in excess of 50 years, more than twice that of other roofing materials

Take a pic, if you can see the felt, feel it will be sandy, asphelt will be smoother

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back