flat roof felt question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

i've been let down by the roofer who was going to start work next week replacing the large flat roof on my house saying he can't now start for 4 weeks.

i've found someone else who can do the work (who's been recommended to me by a good builder i know.)

however he says the 3 layer system that the original roofers were going to install is no good (1 layer 36kg 3B glass fibre tacked to deck, 1 layer 2mm polyester based underlay roofing felt bonded to vapour barrier by torch, 1 layer Icopal polyester based mineral capsheet fully bonded by torch) looking on this board that seems to be a pretty standard system.

the new roofer says he will cover the deck with an undercoat adhesive and then lay 2 layers of 4mm felt & torch. then finish with a solar reflecting paint for the same price.

any help is much appreciated!

thanks,
jj

Sponsored Links
unfortunately that isn't really an option anymore due to the timescale and scaffolding costs (it's already up)

is the 2nd roofer's system going to cause me problems in the future? should i try and find someone else? (difficult at short notice...)

it's not a cheap job by the way - about 9,000 (including a couple of velux flat roof skylights, access hatch and the roof itself of about 90 sq m)

The first system is better, the second is a slash and dash.

It also sounds like the job is overpriced. What area of London?

Sponsored Links
it's in w10, west london - that price also includes removal of all rubbish, code 4 lead flashings to the abutments, all the carpentry work involved to fit the new skylights & access hatch and recovering a small side section of roof (only about 4m2) but no scaffolding (as it's already up)

i originally had 3 quotes done by members of the NFRC and that 9k was the cheapest! (none of the 2 other people who quoted can do the job for another 4 weeks either, hence this new roofer.)

i was looking up the flat roofing alliance site and it seems like the 1st system is the one to go for - 3G tacked underlay, then bonded 5U & 5E layers. looks like i'm going to have to find someone else quick!!

Mail me

-----------------

email address removed, you can place your email address in your profile.
Mod 9.[/code]

thanks xenon will mail you.

quick question - just talked to the 2nd roofer and he is saying the reason he is not using the system the other roofer was going to use is because our flat roof has several 'steps' in it. he thinks that where the mineral capsheet bends over these steps, it will crack and fail over time & using 2 layers of 4mm felt covered with the solar paint will avoid this and be thicker at these edges.

it makes sense - but is it true?!!

i also asked him about having his 1st layer adhered by primer to the deck. i'm worried the deck and felt may move differentially due to thermal expansion which will cause damage to the felt if it is stuck to the deck. that's why i assume the 3g layer is only tacked down. he says that if a hot pour was used on the 3g layer, then it would be stuck down anyway. again is he correct?

i'm getting more confused and to be honest he was recommended by a trusted builder so i don't know why he would use someone who doesn't know what he's doing...but stranger things have happened!

The man is talking total ****e :mad:

The old rag felts would split, todays felts do not.

You cannot bond anything with primer :eek: :confused: .

I have spent the last 25 years installing every type of flat roof covering there is. Also licensed by all the top manufacturers, trust me when i tell you he is a slasher. Solar paint is preffered by slashers because it makes the ugliest job look good. Sola paint needs reapplication every 3-5 years as well.

For 9k, i would want a bit of class on my roof.

If you are in W10, you have seen the 6 tower blocks being refurbed off the Harrow Road....Thats my lads doing the roofs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back