Garage flat roof felt advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of constructing my garage roof. I have decked it with 18mm ply and i am going to use a 3 layer torch on felt system.
The first layer i have is a roll of torch on icopal vent base. My question is, should this layer be fully bonded to the ply, and if it should only be partially bonded, how much should i bond?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If this is the stuff i think you mean then it has a series of holes in it, it is just tacked down and then the base layer is torched on and then only bonds to the deck through the holes leaving the rest unbonded to allow ventilation

Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be any holes in it, how big should they be? I was expecting there to be quite large holes in it so was suprised with what they have supplied.

Fully bonded if its the stripes vent base, don't go mad with the heat.

Sponsored Links
I have unwrapped the felt for a proper look and it does have holes in it, about 2" diameter. It also says its torch on so i fully bond it to the ply and then fully bond the next layer over it?

Lay it loose, the underlay will then bond through the holes.

Thanks for the help. When you say lay it loose, do you mean dont torch it down at all? Also am i right in thinking that i shouldn't overlap it and just butt it together?

Thanks for the help. When you say lay it loose, do you mean dont torch it down at all? Also am i right in thinking that i shouldn't overlap it and just butt it together?

All correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back