suggestions for what to plant in two 6ftx3ft gardens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone give me some ideas on what to plant in two small border gardens that back on to the front of my house . Not knowing a lot about types of flowers except the norm Marigolds busy lizzie etc, I would like something different, preferably colourful with a bit of fragrance. My idea is something a couple of feet high against the wall coming down to normal bedding hight at the front.

regards Bob

Sponsored Links
Shrub wise a japenese flowering quince (Chaenomeles) is pretty with red flowers, relatively hardy and good as a spreading plant which can be trained against a wall etc.

It is deciduous though so pretty stark in the winter although that said most plants with impressive flowering are.

Are you after evergreen, shrubs or perenials?

Thank you for that suggestion, I will look it up. I think that i would be looking for perennials.

maybe some cheap and cheerful crocosmia? there are some less common more fancy varieties. they will multiply though if you don't keep splitting them.

Coreopsis and echinacia? Summer bulbs such as dianthus and cannus are easy and cheap too and if you get a good spread of varieties with different flowering times can give april to september flowering.

The bbc gardening website has a very good plant finder which you may find helpful

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your suggestions I am going to the nursery this week so I will take a list of them with me to have a look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back