Suitable paint/preserver for a tanalised summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just become the proud owner of a lovely summerhouse. It is made from pressure-treated (tanalised) timber. Although it looks lovely as it is I quite fancy the idea of painting it in an attractive colour suitable for a garden.

However, I am confused about the different kinds of paints/preservers on offer and do not know which would be the best to choose. I have read things which suggest that spirit-based preservers are better than water-based. Trouble is that they do not all seem to say what type they are on the tin. The Cuprinol Shades range has some lovely colours but they do say they are water based. I have also seen the Ronseal and Sadolin range but they do not say anywhere on the tin what type they are.

I suppose my questions could be summarised as:
a) Is there a reliable way of finding out what type of paints/preserver these brands are? What should I look for on the tin?
b) What really is the best sort of paint for a wooden building? Are there pros and cons with all kinds?
c) Since my summerhouse is already tanalised then does it matter which I use anyway?
d) Or, if I use an inappropriate sort could I actually lessen the protection offered by the tanalising?

Phew. I think that is it!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back