Suitable Shower versus AGA fed hot water system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an AGA fed hot water system. I was advised a few years ago that this system will not support a power shower?
We currently have a Triton 8.5Kw electric shower in the main Bathroom which to be perfectly honest is pretty poor in flow and pressure.
I am considering removing the bath out of the en suite and replacing it with a shower.
Can anyone advise whether the power shower option is still a no-no and if so what is a suitable shower option to install? I would like a shower with a good flow pressure if this is possible. We have considered upgrading the electric shower to a 10+Kw however we would obviously have to upgrade the wiring.

Sponsored Links
You can use a shower with an external pump or an integral pumped shower. Either choice will require plumbing as per the manufacturers instructions. For an uncontrolled heat source (the AGA) the hot water cylinder temperature can rise to an unacceptable temperature for the pump to operate at. Therefore, it is normal to use a TMV (thermostatic mixing valve, set to 60c) to blend the cylinder hot water with cold water to feed the pump on the hot side.

Thanks Gasguru. Please excuse my ignorance, but advice I recieved which has deterred me away from a power shower in the past was that fitting any kind of pump to an AGA fed hot water tank to feed the shower via a surrey flange was detremental?? Could you please elaborate your comments re the external/integral pump types?

Sponsored Links
Integral shower pump has the pump inside the shower box, conventional pumped showers have a seperate pump (best located beside the cylinder).

No reason not to have a pumped shower with an AGA providing you have a suitably sized indirect cylinder and cold water cistern.

For conventional shower pumps google Salamander, Stuart Turner, Techflow etc for installation details.

Aqualisa, Mira etc will have integral pumped showers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back