Suitable Spirit Level for floor tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know there is a forum for tools etc, but as the tool I need is greared at Tiling, I thought I'd ask here first.

I am after a suitable, good quality spirit level to assist me in tiling a large floor. I have tiled a floor before but it was much smaller so used a DIY(ish) level. I now need a longer level (1m +) as the floor has many existing levels which need to be ironed out first. I have had the word "Rabone" mentioned to me but what do the trade use?

Can anyone recommend a good quality level I could purchase please?

Thanks

AntH

Sponsored Links
Very funny i dont' think!

I think you know what I mean. I have an existing floor with a combination of old tiles, sand and cement screed, level with the existing tiles and some weak concrete (again level with the existing tiles). The exisitng tiles (old quarry tiles) will need lifting and the surrounding level obtained. I'm following through from an old tiled hallway (Geometric tiles).
I'll need to screed some of the floor accordingly.

So, my question remains.

Can anyone suggest a suitable, good quality spirit level please?

You don't need level floors, they just need to be flat. Therefore, just get yourself a straight piece of timber and use that to check whether the floor is flat.

Sponsored Links
If the floor runs down from one end to the other, surely it will need lifting slightly on the lower end as you can't use an inch of tile adhesive to compensate. Some will need lowering.

The existing tiles are deeper than those I intend to lay in their place so screeding etc then self levelling compound is required.

then level the floor, go into bee and queue (other sheds are available) and pick a large one up, the all do the same, if your worried that the bubble is no good on the own brands get a named one.

If you are worried about the bubble test before you buy. Rest it on the floor, check bubble, turn end to end and put on the SAME bit of floor and check bubble again. If it reads the same both ways round it is correct, if the reading is different put it back and try another.

Maybe my experience would help here...

I thought - 'a spirit level is a spirit level' and bough a cheapo...

It worked fine - but there are issues with durability which would be worth looking out for...

1) Mine is an I-section design - having accidentally trodden on it and twisted one of the outer rails I would by a box section one next time.

2) the piece that holds the bubble moves :eek: - probably weak due to the cheapo I section design - so another thing to look out for.

Other than that if the bubble sits in the same place both ways round, as mentioned in previous post, the thing should do the job!

HTH :cool:

Just get a bog standard mid price level and a decent bit of timber for a straight edge that you sit your level on. Then find your highest point that you can't lower and use that as your datum point, Then screed up that point using your level and straight edge. If it's really bad you are better battening the walls and running your straight edge along them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back