Sulphate attack on kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a house built in the 1920's in Headingley Leeds. I have just had an extensive survey and the report highlights the possibility of a sulphate attack in the kitchen floor. The floor is 'heaving' and several of the ceramic tiles are cracked.

I have looked up sulphate attack on the Internet and feel very worried about the process of getting it rectified and the cost. There is also a 'heave' on the landing according to the report although I had not noticed this myself. The house needs other major work . . . .new roof and windows and I am conscious that it is all sounding like a lot of money.

Any advice or ideas would be really welcome. The estate agent didn't think Headingley was a sulphate attack area. I had never heard of it until a week ago and now I can't think of anything else!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If it's a solid floor which is lifting, it could well be sulphate attack. When this occurs, chrystals form which expand and lift the floor. Generally, the sulphates come from the hardcore used below the concrete.
A common source years ago was re-used broken brick rubble and plaster from demolition sites.

Thanks for replying to this. Is it a huge job to rectify ? I assume it means digging the floor up as far down as the concrete goes and then re filling and laying. ? It's not a huge area . . .probably about 12 ft by 12 ft. Are we talking £2000? £5000? £10 000?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back