Summer house lean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Warm greetings.
My summer house has rotted/separated where the wooden side meets the wooden floor.
The floor is supported under neath so the wooden side has slid down a bit.
The result of this is that the wooden double doors have parted by approx' 1.1/2" at the bottom and about 3/4"
at the top.
This has confused me as I would think the gap at the top would be bigger??
I was thinking of using a toe jack to lift the sunken side, but this would close the gap at the top
and enlarge the gap at the bottom?? I think??:unsure:
The rest of the summer house structure seems to be fine.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that because of rot in the wooden floor and wooden wall, the wooden door wooden open?

I'll take some photos tomorrow.
There is a double door at the front which does not meet anymore, and leaves a gap as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
Warm greetings.
My summer house has rotted/separated where the wooden side meets the wooden floor.
The floor is supported under neath so the wooden side has slid down a bit.
The result of this is that the wooden double doors have parted by approx' 1.1/2" at the bottom and about 3/4"
at the top.
This has confused me as I would think the gap at the top would be bigger??
I was thinking of using a toe jack to lift the sunken side, but this would close the gap at the top
and enlarge the gap at the bottom?? I think??:unsure:
The rest of the summer house structure seems to be fine.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If the side dropped it will open up more at the bottoms as that’s where it’s spreading .The top therefore less affected .

Because of the drop, the 2 doors won't open properly and scrape on the flags.
The summer house is 8 sided.
It is dropping on both sides front end.
On the cat flap side it has dropped, cracking/breaking the floor board. 3028/3029/3033
On the opposite side fig 3019 & 3025, it has rotted and dropped.

Attachments

• IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3025 copy.jpeg
    IMG_3025 copy.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3033.JPG
    IMG_3033.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 21
I would guess where the frame to floor is rotten it has both dropped causing the walls to spread which would create a larger gap at the bottom of the doors than the top and hence why when opening they are hitting the flag stones.

To repair you will need to support the apex of the roof, this will take the load off of the walls allowing you to remove and replace rotten timber and screw the walls back to the base at the correct height.

I would guess where the frame to floor is rotten it has both dropped causing the walls to spread which would create a larger gap at the bottom of the doors than the top and hence why when opening they are hitting the flag stones.

To repair you will need to support the apex of the roof, this will take the load off of the walls allowing you to remove and replace rotten timber and screw the walls back to the base at the correct height.
Thank you, my friends!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back