Summer Tyre vs All Season Tyre

Sponsored Links
It only snows one day a year in Surrey! However I think I'd go for all weather tyres if I was buying.

Contacted AE and got this response:

Hi

Not sure how much I can help here.

First off I have no experience of the Barum Brilliantis so cannot comment.

We have tested Hankook tyres. They have compared pretty well in the summer tyre tests. Less so in winter and all season.

In dry braking you are talking about something in the region of 5.5m longer to stop from 62mph between the Goodyear AS and a good summer tyre.

Only you can judge whether that is a compromise worth making for the improved safety margin in winter.

You should also bear in mind the AS feels soft and vague compared to the precision of a summer tyre but then I'm guessing an FRV is not all about lap times and steering feel.

Less of a compromise may be something like the Michelin CrossClimate+ which is showing well in early results for this year's test.

Ideally you would have a winter and summer sets. If you are planning on keeping the car it may be worth investing both. They wear out no quicker and many tyre outlets now have tyre hotels if you don't want to store the unused set.

Hope this helps

Kim

Sponsored Links
Interesting posts, every one.....
Considering the volume and variety of vehicles that come my way for one thing or another, the percentage of those with incorrect tyre pressures (i.e a mile out) is staggering.
I'm also a great user of the laser wheel alignment gear that Kwik Fit have installed just now - perfect results every time.
Its difficult for anyone to comment on the performance of their tyres unless the above is attended to!
John :)

I don't know. They were on it when I got it

Are they run-flats?

I have seen another AE tyre test for RFT's and the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 RFT comes out on top, with a score that beats the Pilot Sport 4.

Tempted, although we would have to invest in TPM because visually, a deflated RFT is almost identical to an inflated one...

Bridgestone Turanza were standard fit on the new avensis I had, so I am guessing that they were a fairly cheap set of boots, rather than selected primarily for performance.

Sponsored Links
Back