sump plug won't seal

I wonder if an oil leak is an MOT failure?
Crankshaft oil seal on mine weeps and was told by MOT place I go to that because it was being thrown up onto chassis it was OK but if it dripped onto the road then it would be a fail.

Sponsored Links
Porous sumps are very common, and usually stem from the fact that engines are unusually oil tight these days, so they rust through.
You could be better off using a compound such as Devcon (epoxy putty) to seal the leak.
I've done 3 sump pans this year - Toyota Amazon, Peugeot 206 and a Ford Transit - just to show there's no discrimination!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi there,
Read through this so just thought I would see if my idea could be used.
NO a small drip is not an MOT fail but you will probably get a notification about it.
If you again drain down and then once drained jack the car so that the hole is at a higher level or different to that where you drained, this will help stop any residue from coming out of the hole.
Gt some electro cleaner and clean the hole area (it will evaporate away to a dry surface)
once you have done this find some thistle bond resin (or even araldite rapid) mix and apply. there is a tip that if you warn the area to repair the resin will set quicker and also capillary into the damage or repair area.
When cured refill the sump and enjoy happy motoring again.
Regarding the "is it worth it thought"
that will be down to yourself, but you have tried to look after this motor so far so to me your pleased that it was then worth the effort to change the oils etc, Just because high milage does not mean the car is now unfit for its purpose or even unable to do that, if it passes the MOT and you are happy to drive it then what is wrong with you continuing just that
Just my opinion.
Richard.

If its a steel pan not to much of a problem welding it, its aluminium ones that are a problem.

Peter

NO a small drip is not an MOT fail but you will probably get a notification about it.
Why? Under which section of the manual? Cars have been leaking oil for donkeys years, and used to a lot more than they do now. Unless it's in danger of leaking onto the brakes or driveshaft rubbers, which nearly all sump leaks and most oil seal leaks aren't, it's not worthy of a mention.

well I drained it again last night, tilted it over away from the split, wire-brushed and degreased it and pressed on a poultice of Evo-stik Hard & Fast Metal Epoxy Putty

It has now had a dab of black paint on it, had the oil poured back in, and run to warm.

MoT is at 2pm.

I've already bought a new car, so this one will be going this week, either to the scrappy or to a young hard-up couple I know locally. If I keep it and extend the insurance it will cost me £80.

Just say'in, we find a bit of fine dust off the floor sprinkled when the paint is still wet, looks more authentic ...........

Hopefully the MOT went well

I must of misunderstood comments regarding oil leaks. :oops:

They would not make up work as they do not carry out repairs there plus they know I do all the work on my own vehicles myself.

Why? Under which section of the manual? Cars have been leaking oil for donkeys years, and used to a lot more than they do now. Unless it's in danger of leaking onto the brakes or driveshaft rubbers, which nearly all sump leaks and most oil seal leaks aren't, it's not worthy of a mention.

Section 6 sub C.
As I said it is NOT an M O T fail but there can be a notification (if the tester so wishes to put one )

Mot sure about the MOT, but we have to dry off all the leaks before going for our test. Good job the don't keep the car overnight ... :)

Any leaks are frowned upon for the NCT

It failed on a couple of things. He noted "oil leak" as an advisory, but I have checked the car, running and at rest, and it no longer drips, so i expect he noticed the marks on the underside of the car where it had previously been dripping, and droplets had blown along the underside.

Sponsored Links
Back